HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   HUNTING DURING FULL MOON (since the good doctor mentioned it) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/128716-hunting-during-full-moon-since-good-doctor-mentioned.html)

NavyDeerHunter 01-13-2006 05:07 AM

HUNTING DURING FULL MOON (since the good doctor mentioned it)

What is your take on hunting during a full moon phase? Do you think that the deer use the same areas as they normally do, but simply wait later into the evening/night to begin moving out to feed?
On one of the places I hunt, a couple of weeks ago I had seen deer using a certain trail on a regular basis...nearly at the same time every afternoon. Now that it is a full moon, I'm not seeing anything. Are they holding back and heading out later?
Whatcha Reckon?
Thanks,
Craig

texas8point 01-13-2006 05:24 AM

RE: HUNTING DURING FULL MOON (since the good doctor mentioned it)

I beleive the deer do most of their moving around at night with a full moon........I also think because they bed early they are up in the middle of the day snacking.........shot my spike at 1130am.......full moon

Oneshot7 01-13-2006 05:28 AM

IT affects them greatly they might not move till 11:00 that night but ill bet they will move in the morning

NavyDeerHunter 01-13-2006 05:49 AM

So then, would you consider it a waste of time to go on an afternoon/evening hunt when the moon is going to be full?
Craig

DoctorDeath 01-13-2006 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

So then, would you consider it a waste of time to go on an afternoon/evening hunt when the moon is going to be full?
Craig
I never consider it a waste of time when I am in the woods but during a full moon I do think your odds go down a good bit ..unless its during the rut ...then the bucks got poon-tang on their mind and even the moon can't stop them from chasing it ;>))

dd

CamoCop 01-13-2006 07:26 AM

poon-tang...roflmao.....ain't heard that in a while!

NorthernHunter 01-13-2006 01:04 PM

I avoid hunting during full moons unless there is cloud cover. Never had success and neither have people I speak with.

My opinion is the deer are already bedding down by the time you walk into the woods at 4:30-5AM and they don't move much until late in the day, unless bumped.

BEARBUSTER66 01-13-2006 03:58 PM

WE STARTEDUSING THE MOON GUIDE ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO, AND IT SEEMS TO BE ON THE MONEY, (WITHIN REASON)THE AMOUMT OF DEER WE SEEN, JUMPED BIG TIME. BUT REMEMBER HUNTING PRESSURE & THE RUT CHANGES THINGS TOO.. GOOD LUCK I HOPE THIS HELPS :)

JJWIII 01-13-2006 06:46 PM

If you're going to be hunting within a day or two of a full moon, as well as the day of the full moon itself, try and stay out there all day if you can. If this isn't possible, consider sleeping in late and getting into the woods about 9:30 AM. Stick it out until 2:00 PM. Adding a little bit of time to either side of this wouldn't hurt. Don't be surprised if you see most action around noon time.

BTBowhunter 01-13-2006 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

poon-tang...roflmao.....ain't heard that in a while!
Most of us old enough to say we aint heard that in awhile probly aint had that in awhile either;)

Now back to the topic, daytime deer activity definitely goes way down during the full moon. Incraesed midday activity, howeveris a strong possiblilty.