HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Animals that have busted your deer hunt?! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/128448-animals-have-busted-your-deer-hunt.html)

JagMagMan 01-11-2006 01:53 AM

Animals that have busted your deer hunt?!

I am sure many of us have had a deer hunt ruined by animals! What animals, other than two-legged idiots have busted your hunts?
For me, I've had hunts ruined by sheep, cattle, hogs, and even a covey of quail!
But, the most humorous one was when I was busted by a horse! I had hunted in a ground blind, which reallywas only a smallgroup of cedar saplings! Being fully camo-ed, I had many deer close enough to club, with my gun barrel! One afternoon, I had a few horses graze by. One of them came very close, andwhen he spotted me, he started stomping, and whining! He would run off about 40-50 yards, and come back stomping, and whining, over, and over, again! Needless to say, there wasn't a deer left in the area! I guess he'd never seen a green dummy sitting in a bush before!:(:D:(:D:(:D

Chuck7 01-11-2006 02:33 AM

RE: Animals that have busted your deer hunt?!

The only animal that I know that has busted my hunt is me.;)

C. Davis 01-11-2006 04:21 AM

Jag,
That horse may have been an anti-hunter, or a member of PETA. That is funny.

On a day lease in Llano county one afternoon, I had one cow find me, and not long after that about 10 or 12 of her friends joined her and me on a hill looking down into a little valley at a deer crossing. I guess they liked my company. They stayed with me for most of the afternoon.

One morning while it was still dark, I opened an old box stand, and had a very large mouse shoot out of it brushing my left ear. That right there will get your heart pumping. I remember checking my throat to see if I was cut. It didn't really bust my hunt though. It probably helped it. I stayed awake that whole morning.

I guess the last animal that I remember busting me was doe I was not shooting at. In fact I didn't know she was even there to my right. When I positioned myself to make a shot, she saw me and let everybody know.

C. Davis

buckhunter14 01-11-2006 04:28 AM

C. Davis, I know how you feel on that one. One ofthe nastiest things of my life!

Sorry this isn't bow hunting but it is very funny! I was hunting a cow pasture while turkey hunting last year. The turkeys would come and feed heavy where the farmers dump the cow feed. I had 2 hen decoys out in the pasture. I was sitting in the middle of a pile of old fence stumps. (In the old days when they used to used stumps as fences) I was calling in a nice looking tom and he was coming very slow. I knew the cattle would be around when I called but it was no big deal. All of a sudden a big ole' cow comes and starts licking my decoy. Totally destroys the holding post and everything. Then a cow most have spotted me and walks up right behind me and is smelling and smelling. (They are blind as a bat) and all of a sudden I hear. HHHHAAACHUUUU... The cow sneezed all of the back of me and I had slober EVERYWHERE. I didn't even care about the tome anymore. I got up and he went running, I looked at the decoy, and picked it up and took it home to throw in the dumpster.

I guess it is funny now :D

NavyDeerHunter 01-11-2006 05:39 AM

I don't care who you are...that's funny stuff right there.

banjo201 01-11-2006 07:28 AM

One Saturday morning this past season, I just stepped in the woods before sunrise, when a large, tan colored dog saw me across the creek from where my stand was placed. He immediately started barking, this loud, deep bark. He eventually went over the hill from the creek but I could still hear him barking 20 minutes later. What made matters worse was the fact that he came back and sat alongside the pinetree line and continued barking for another 20 minutes. I dearly wanted to shoot that dog.

Ifly 01-11-2006 07:47 AM

Other than sqereals, I've had two other animules that I can think of sqrew me up. One was a big diamondback rattle snake. Bout 25yrs. ago I was up a pine in Central fl. in my trusty Baker Climber and I kept thinking I heard something moving (could hear stuff like that back then) and finally I looked out across the pine flat and about 25yds. from my stand was a big ole rattlesnake..bout 6' and I think to myself..I got to walk out of here tonight and probably back in tomorrow morning and don't really like the idea of getting bit by a 6' diamondback. I always kept one dull broad head in my bow quiver for practice shots etc. so I decided I would take one shot and if I hit it good if not I'd let it go.
It was to this day the best shot I ever made..couldn't have got down and drew and X across the center of the back of his head and placed the arrow on it any better. He didn't even flinch at the hit..just stayed stretched out dead still. That is until about 4 does, 2 yrlings, a 4pt and 8pt. all came in around me and then for some unknown reason..my luck I guess..he started to wiggle. However..I managed to get the shot off at 8pt. but lost his blood trail in the water filled cypress heads.
Another time a couple yrs. ago I was rifle hunting some public land and had a buck come in behind me and had the cross hairs behind his shoulders just getting ready to pull trigger when all of a sudden all hel% broke loose. I saw just a blur of brown right under my tree streak to wards the buck and he hauled butt. I can only figure it must have been another buck slipped in and chased him off..it was so fast all I saw was a blur of brown...that's my luck..just puttin the squeeze on the trigger and that happened..what's the odds?

CamoCop 01-11-2006 01:25 PM

squirrels and lots of them. nothing seems to give you up any quicker than squirrels barking 5 feet away from you ALL morning!

nosfedgta 01-11-2006 02:37 PM

how about dogs!!!!!!!!! I cant beleive that nobody has mentioned them yet. I have had them ruin my hunt many times.

I also had them help me get my 10 pointer last year :) the had run some deer past me at 10am and again at 11 am then at 11:45 am a 10 pointer was kinda sliping around the backside of where they cam from and he just slipped into about 10 yards from me :)

Little Yellowjacket 01-11-2006 07:20 PM

Squirrels....... I hate squirrels. They get fat off of your corn and bark all morning. If you are deer hunting, you see thousands of em. If you go squirrell hunting, you won't even see one.