Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DD scores again ... #10

Old 01-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DD scores again ... #10

last one

Old 01-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Hey DD,

By the looks of the rack? on that deer’s head, the first thing that comes to mind is;

“All of the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names”

I think you did him a favor!!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

BHF I understand your question BUTwhy should I ..not being facetious but why should I not shoot what I want to shoot ....just because you or someone else on here does not approve?
DD, I think some of the criticism on this thread may have been carried over from the thread (sick,sick,sick) where you were upset with someone for shooting a young deer (and I think it was only his 1st or 2nd in his life, and you got 10 this year), and yet you say you aren't choosy with what you shoot because you can't manage the land you hunt. I could care less what you shoot, thats just the impression that I got about it.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bionicrooster

BHF I understand your question BUTwhy should I ..not being facetious but why should I not shoot what I want to shoot ....just because you or someone else on here does not approve?
DD, I think some of the criticism on this thread may have been carried over from the thread (sick,sick,sick) where you were upset with someone for shooting a young deer (and I think it was only his 1st or 2nd in his life, and you got 10 this year), and yet you say you aren't choosy with what you shoot because you can't manage the land you hunt. I could care less what you shoot, thats just the impression that I got about it.
Bion as usual you pick and choose what you want to read ...first of all as the "sick SICK SICK" post explainedhe was a guest on the property ...he was a 35 year old grown man NOT a child..I gave himCLEAR instructions as to what not to shoot ...the deer he shot might have weighed 40 lbs ...and had you read ALL this thread you would have seen where I am "choosy" as I do not shoot yearlings ...button bucks or doe's with their yearlings ... I do not mind you posting your opinion but have all the facts in hand before you make a remark ...

dd
Old 01-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

DD that`s a Canastota NY muck buck right there. we got alot of them where I hunt,LOL
Old 01-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations on your 10th deer remember your season isn't over yet and you may take a couple more. I hunted alabama 6 times back in the early to mid 90's. I thought it was a great place to hunt nothing like getting away from the cold north east to a state with a more moderate climate. I always got a kick when I left NY with 2 feet of snow and flew into montgomery airport and seethem mowing the lawn. Idid all my hunting at the various lodges down in the black belt area and 5 out of 6 times the accomodations were great and the game plentiful. One thing though i could never get use tothat red clay/mud that alabama seems to have all over the place. If everything goes as planned I should be back down there in january '07 for a 3 day hunt.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

LIAF its 11 not 10 but heyyyyy whos counting andits nice to know you enjoyed your trips down here in the heart of dixie .... as for the red clay you mostly find that down south ..we do have some up here in the northern part of Bama but not as much ..did you ever hunt Westervelt Lodge in Aliceville ..Ive hunted it about 4 times in years past ...GREAT food ..lot of deer just not many big ones ...

dd
Old 01-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like that deer was probably insane from the horn growth. Probably runnin around in circles, or caught in the fense. That's why he was easy enough for you to kill..................I'm kidding of course.

I've seen some wierd horn growth before and that one is right up there. Don't think you'd ever have to worry about him turnin' in to a "trophy". Other than the fact that he was already a trophy in many respects. I think someone pointed out that they'd seen cows with similar afflictions. I have seen it in cows too. When I growing up on our farm, we actually cut the horns of several cows that were chronically growing into their head and would have resulted in death. I don't think it would happen in dear, but am unsure, because of the antler being slightly softer while its still in the growing stage then hardening up.Probably would have been an even more twisted mess if he made it next year though.good job
Old 01-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted Red Oak twice, White Oak twice, Macon county Guide service and Master Rack. The Master Rack hunt wasn't good as they had an 8 point minimum but did not penalize you if you shot something smaller. The other lodges fined you $500.00if you took a sub-standard buck since they had a management plan in place(8 point or 16 inch inside spread was the minimum you could shoot). I undertsand now that Master rack is under new ownership and they have a similiar management plan in place. Master rack was fine for the reason they let you hunt 3 full days whereas the other places the hunts startedin the afternoon on the first day, then 2 full days, then a morning hunt and off to the airport. i may check out Master rack again but I can't make any definite plans until early summer as I just started a new job.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:03 PM

wow DD congrats on number 11, and thanks for posting the pics, thats what we all come here for!!

[/align]

Quick Reply: DD scores again ... #10

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.