Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 interesting question about farmers and deer, please respond.... >

interesting question about farmers and deer, please respond....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

interesting question about farmers and deer, please respond....

Old 01-09-2006, 11:36 PM

Default RE: interesting question about farmers and deer, please respond....

Do you have to saw the individual antlers off, or can you just "chunck-out" that part of the skull and send them into together...because I tried to make a set of rattleing antlers one time and WaHOOOAAAA its hard to exagerate how tuff those antlers are!!! I was a kid then and had always heard but haddent ever learned. BTW I fried (almost literally) a mason bit drilling holes to put string through.

Don't live in Ohio and aren't serious about trying to hunt nuisance deer, but if the state required me to deal with the actual antler material...I just might pass.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

It's wide open in Connecticut.I have deer damage permits for my orchard. It must be regestered commerical. they are issued to a specific person and you can only get permits for one farm. Does, bucks Jan 1 to Nov 1. Jacklighting can also be requested. The State sends a biologist to verify damage and a GW to insure safe shooting lanes. NO BP allowed, rifle or bow are OK. By the way in my area the farmers hate deer, they are long legged rats to them. The meat, antlers etc are yours to do with same as any other deer taken in regular season, as in NO SALE. In fact I need to call for my 2006 permits today!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:49 AM

Farmers dont give a **** if deer eat there crops..thats why they have insurence for..There not going to let you hunt..and we pay for them with our insurence beeing raised...I say they should drop them of coverage and let them eat the problem...Here in northwest indiana if you are not a family friend,married to or any relation to a farmer..Good luck there all stuck up and wont give you the time of day..But there the first to complaine of the problem...And if they do got people hunting there eather trophy hunting or they couldent hit the side of a barn at 10 feet...some of the people that come around suck so bad that they shouldent be hunting anyway...Know the hard working guy with kids that want a place to growup with your kids hunting and enjoying the out doors is hard to find if not emposible with out shelling out $$$$$$....Tax on farm land is so low its nuts like 50 to 100 dollors a arc...your house is in the thousands it nuts...the goverment helps these people so much there millonares...Dont let them bull**** you...JUST MY @ CENTS

Been asking to hunt for years and just gave it up 2 years ago..You can have it ....
Old 01-10-2006, 08:44 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: geterdun

Hey,

MY name is Brent and I live in Baltimore, MD. My question revolves around farmers and nuisane deer. Do you think it is possible to locate a farmer who has a nuisance population of deer and would like them removed. I heard from a friend that some farmers actually can get permits that allow them to kill deer anytime if they become a problem for their crops, is this true? He also told me that the farmer can pass on these rare hunting privelages/tasks to someone else, if suppose, the farmer doesnt hunt. How true does this seem you you fellas? From my point of view (a hunter) it seems to good to be true, but maybe from the farmers point of veiw, the deer are a real problem. Someone please shed some light on my question.
geterdun, sure, I have done it for a few farmers in Carroll, MD. Problem is,I haveyet to meet a farmerthat lets total strangersshoot deer for crop damage. Especially inMD, they are overran with people at thier doors wanting the farmers to let them. Get to know some of em. And sure.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:00 AM

Obviously you don't farm or know anything about what it's like to be a farmer. Most don't have insurance to cover crop damage because if they did they would not be protesting and taking things to the govenment to control deer. If they do have insurance it is because they are the big time farmers that don't have anyother choice.

Taxes have to be lower because many of these farms are hundreds of acres. Houses are ussually on much smaller portions of land. If farmer's didn't get taxe breaks they would never be able to pay the taxes and be forced to sell the land. Not to many farmers I know are millionares.

There must be a reason why they don't want you on their land. Would let let someone you don't know roam around with guns around your livestock and drive thought your hard planted crops?

ORIGINAL: stanton21

Farmers dont give a **** if deer eat there crops..thats why they have insurence for..There not going to let you hunt..and we pay for them with our insurence beeing raised...I say they should drop them of coverage and let them eat the problem...Here in northwest indiana if you are not a family friend,married to or any relation to a farmer..Good luck there all stuck up and wont give you the time of day..But there the first to complaine of the problem...And if they do got people hunting there eather trophy hunting or they couldent hit the side of a barn at 10 feet...some of the people that come around suck so bad that they shouldent be hunting anyway...Know the hard working guy with kids that want a place to growup with your kids hunting and enjoying the out doors is hard to find if not emposible with out shelling out $$$$$$....Tax on farm land is so low its nuts like 50 to 100 dollors a arc...your house is in the thousands it nuts...the goverment helps these people so much there millonares...Dont let them bull**** you...JUST MY @ CENTS

Been asking to hunt for years and just gave it up 2 years ago..You can have it ....
Old 01-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

I was able to bow hunt a x-mas tree farm in Bennett Springs, Mo where all the bucks were tearing up his smaller pines. Great Hunting. And the farmer had tags that he used to tag them if we were lucky enough to get one.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:01 PM

WOW i dident know that canada and the united states were the same in farm paratice?????This is america bud not canada.The day of the 100 acr.farm is in the past,,There big operations now of days..You must be a hobbie farmer???The goverment pays you to not farm so they can buy grain and other commodites from other countrys..The sun will be out soon for you...The dark must hurt your head..
I used to hunt lots of farms but the fighting and the other backstabing was to much,not worth the time to get in fights over jelouse people..
I will have my kids grow up with out that in there life but fishing and waterskiing is still free so that is what i do with them...When you have to pay to go fishing on a lake that well be the day....But that is not to far down the pipeline....Hey.. Kill a deer for me..Shoot it in the face....
Old 01-10-2006, 10:06 PM

Not sure what type of permit ohbowguy is talking about but last year the farmers land that I hunt was bad last year in his beans. TheDNR came out and gave him six doe only tags. The DNR warned me because I was there, that the tags had to be used on the owners land and if I got caught using it on other land he would put the hurtin on me. The tags could be used by anyone but it had to be during legal season and with legal equipment. You did not have to donate the meat or any thing like that. He also said they will only give out doe tags since killing buck wont help the population that much. Their isa tree farm not far from my house that we get our christmas tree from every year and he has deer damage, when I asked him about it he to said that theDNR will only give him doe tags and told him to get more hunters for the bucks. I have Attached a photo of a tag that was not filled last year. hopefully it shows up ok. Just ask around and maybe you can find a spot like that, but most of the "honey holes" are probally taken.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:07 PM

Really? Maby i'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure there are are some pretty darn huge farm operations here in canada.I am what you'd call a hobby farmer but we still work dam hard for our money. As for the govenment paying for us not to farm? Where did you hear that? You should thank the people that put food on the tables of people, American or Canadian. Obvously you don't understand so it isn't worth arguing any more.

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: stanton21

WOW i dident know that canada and the united states were the same in farm paratice?????This is america bud not canada.The day of the 100 acr.farm is in the past,,There big operations now of days..You must be a hobbie farmer???The goverment pays you to not farm so they can buy grain and other commodites from other countrys..The sun will be out soon for you...The dark must hurt your head..
I used to hunt lots of farms but the fighting and the other backstabing was to much,not worth the time to get in fights over jelouse people..
I will have my kids grow up with out that in there life but fishing and waterskiing is still free so that is what i do with them...When you have to pay to go fishing on a lake that well be the day....But that is not to far down the pipeline....Hey.. Kill a deer for me..Shoot it in the face....
[/blockquote]