Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Had a great day today

Old 01-08-2006, 01:53 PM

Default RE: Had a great day today

Ohoy! Thanks everyone! Ive only just put away the gear and already so much friendliness.

JCChartboy. Around here the roe deer hunting begins 16 August and then only with rifle and antlered deer. 1 september fawns are legal also with rifle only. 1 october we can use dogs and shotguns.We mostly use my terrier or my brothers SGP and they more or less only get the game going and maybe turn it around once or twice if i leaves thedesignateddrive area.This was a small drive area but hunting is easier to controland more fun when it is not a huge party of shooters involved. It is also very common practice to use dachshounds and bassets and "drevers"(no idea what they be called in english). They keep the deer in motion for maybe an hour and can keepthem circling in an small area. The hunt for roe deer is ended in last of januari in this part of Sweden.

Heres another poor quality pic!

Old 01-10-2006, 09:27 AM

Well done, 3Ddepression! Great to hear that hunting is still practiced in Europe. Thanks for sharing! I particularly enjoy hearing about hunting in Sweden, since my grandfather came to the States from Jönköping. He once worked at the match factory there.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:41 AM

Thanks jmfa!
You even got the letter ö right!
I work in the Jönköpings län in the weeksand hunt just 120 miles south of that!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Green Pea

400 meters is the equivalent of 437 yards. 29kg is equivalent to 63 pounds. I’m guessing the 29kg was a typo.

Either way, congratulations. Sounds like a fun day to me.
Actually Green Pea. 63lbs is about average for a Roe doe. They run much smaller than our whitetails and especially Muley's. Maybe 63 is a little under average but not much.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:02 AM

BJR You are right. Thats a normal sized one. I may have failed to mention it but it is common practice to use US no 3 shots and it is absolutely enough.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: 3Ddepression

Thanks jmfa!
You even got the letter ö right!
I work in the Jönköpings län in the weeksand hunt just 120 miles south of that!
Sadly, the "ö" is just about the extent of my ability with the Swedish language. My grandparents for some reason never taught my father to speak Swedish; my father says that back in those days it was just not fashionable to be an immigrant. My grandfather even changed his name form "AndersSon" to "Anderson." I think that if I tried to speak Swedish in front of a real Swede I would be no doubt laughed at. They say that the grandson seeks to remember what the son seeks to forget.

In any event, congratulations on your kill, hopefully there will be many more to come!