Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 idiots don't know a thing about deer management >

idiots don't know a thing about deer management

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

idiots don't know a thing about deer management

Old 01-07-2006, 11:48 AM

Default RE: idiots don't know a thing about deer management

Believe me, I've tried for the past 5 years. It does no good. the ones that hunt the land are "deer experts" they know everything. So I just try to go on but can't believe their that ignorant.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:22 PM
bigcountry

When I was younger I use to say states that let does being killed don't know nothing about deer mgt. Let em walk and that will draw in bucks. Thats when I hunted in WV and Ky where doe killing is frowned upon. I would see 1 buck for about 20 does or more. Now in MD where they blast does regularly, I see 1 buck for about 3 does. I now know I didn't know anything about deer managment. And still know very little other than thinning out does does help on the buck doe ratio. I ain't complaining. I see some sort ofbuckalmost every time I bow hunt. They might not be in range. And they are 18month basket8s. I never saw that in WV.Its sad they pop shoot them but I don't know if they are idiots as you say. Some people just enjoy the kill.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

ANTLERLESS DEER SEASON (Private lands)
(Wildlife management area regulations can differ)

Season Dates: South Zone, Nov. 5-11; Central Zone, Nov. 19-25; Northwest Zone, Dec. 17-23.

Legal to Take: Deer of either sex (except spotted fawn) in those areas open to antlerless deer season.

Shooting Hours: One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.

Daily Bag and Possession Limits: Antlerless deer season - daily bag limit of one antlered and one antlerless deer or two antlered deer. Regardless of season, sex or how many permits, harvesting more than two deer per day is prohibited.

Hunting Methods: All legal firearms including bows, muzzleloading guns, crossbows and handguns may be used.

Prohibitions: Antlerless Deer Season does not apply to that portion of the eastern Everglades south of Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41) and east of Everglades National Park; or Collier County south of S.R. 84. Taking antlerless deer may be prohibited or have different seasons on WMAs and national wildlife refuges. Consult specific WMA brochures for rules and regulations. In addition, see Areas Closed to Hunting (page 6).
Old 01-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

UTM, it sounds like it's time for you to get into your own lease to avoid futher problems with your fam..
Old 01-07-2006, 02:31 PM

I really want to but if I save for a few more years I would be able to buy my own land. I don't know, I guess I'll see how it looks like its going to go next season. I know this. I have really gotten into bowhunting and they don't bow hunt LOL, hell they prolly don't even know what a bow is much less shoot one. They can't hit the ground with a rifle, I know they can't hit a deer with a bow. When bow season only, is open I am the only one out there. So if I can get me a big one then, I won't be rifle hunting as much. But I agree, its definatly PAST time for me to find somewhere else to hunt. How much land is good enough for deer? Someone said 10 acres is plenty.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

When I was younger I use to say states that let does being killed don't know nothing about deer mgt. Let em walk and that will draw in bucks. Thats when I hunted in WV and Ky where doe killing is frowned upon. I would see 1 buck for about 20 does or more. Now in MD where they blast does regularly, I see 1 buck for about 3 does. I now know I didn't know anything about deer managment. And still know very little other than thinning out does does help on the buck doe ratio. I ain't complaining. I see some sort ofbuckalmost every time I bow hunt. They might not be in range. And they are 18month basket8s. I never saw that in WV.Its sad they pop shoot them but I don't know if they are idiots as you say. Some people just enjoy the kill.
BC, Those views are still prevailing in much of East Texas! On public land, its usually bucks only. On many leases, managers will only let youtake one doe, and 2 bucks, and some places that still have "doe permits," the managers don't even give out the permits!
I guess its hard to grasp that taking more does, doesNOT hurt the population, and with less does you see MORE BUCKS!
Old 01-07-2006, 07:42 PM

So just becuase they shoot does and small bucks they are idiots? What is wrong with shooting those deer if they are legal. If they are shooting that many obviously there are alot of deer and shooting a few isn't that big of deal. In gun season here, If wehave the tags, if it's brown it's down. Other than not looking for their deer, I can't really see what they are doing wrong.

[/align]
Old 01-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

UTM,

I bought 19 acres of land a few years ago. It is all woods and deer bed there as well as cross it from multiple directions. So, there is plenty of room for at least two stands on it. I would suggest buying land as soon as possible. Good hunting land is getting scarcer and MUCH more expensive. I doubt that it will still be 1000 an acre in your areamuch longer. I paid 1300 an acre for land that had been worth less than half that the decade before.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Typical Buck

I love it.

In one thread some one is belly acheing about his inlaws shooting a doe and a buck they are going to eat because if they wanted it killed they would have them self. Everybody gives a reassuring pat on the back, "There there, we know how you feel."

In another thread people are shooting eight, nine, ten deer up to who knows how many and GIVING THEM AWAY to people whojust don't have time or will make the effort to kill their own. People are all for it just for the thrill of "hunting" and getting out in the woods.

Blarney all of it.

If you don't want it, don't kill it.
If you kill it, eat it.
It just don't get any more simple and a million excuses and grandiose BS rationalizing don't change the way it adds up.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Another point to consider , not everybody cares about complicated crap like wildlife management , some folks just like to hunt and let their F&G department do the managing . They are well within their right to do so .

If you don't own the patch you have no right to tell others what to shoot.If the patch is less than about 1,500 acres ,and everyone else aropund you isn't on the same management plan that you are ,you're just wasting your time anyway . Save up for some land of your own before you can't afford it anymore .

Quick Reply: idiots don't know a thing about deer management

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.