Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dont fall asleep!

Old 01-05-2006, 09:18 PM

Default RE: Dont fall asleep!

LOL, has happened to me once. As a matter of fact it was 3 does that walked up to about 30 yards and didn't see me sitting on a bucket behind a bush then I woke up. The result, 5 seconds and 4 shots later they all were down.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 PM

I work 12hr swing shift that switches every two weeks. Soalot of the time when i sit still for more then ten min. I sleep(morning hunts mainly). I doubt that I have ever had any deer or that big buck walk by like the pic because my wife says I snore like a mac truck on a rough idle. Butif i'm warm I think a nap in the woods is the best thing ever.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its easy to nod off. Get up at 3:30 a.m. and be in the stand way before light. After doing this a few days it catches up with you. I have about 11 or 13 tree stands scattered throughout the forest here and some are quite comfortable where I can snooze and stay in the stand all day, but I have some others that you've really got to pay attention where your at, especially when drawing down and being aware of your foot placement on the stand.
I think we all nod off and try to fight it b/c we put so much into the hunt and come primetime at 8:30 a.m., the eyes get kinda heavy. Been there and done it.

Bobby
Old 01-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: takedownfreak123

You really wounder how many hunters have fallen asleep and missed a nice buck.
I know my dad has, at least twice! Once I jumped a buck and trailed it in the snow, right to him, kept expecting to hear the "boom". Got there, he was awake, looking around, asked about the deer, he said "no deer came by". Denied he was asleep. Showed him the tracks that came within 20 yards, stood, walked around behind him, turned and looked back, then moved on!

Second time he was alone, he says he fell asleep, woke up cause of some noise, turned out to be a 10 pt buck at 10 yards staring at him, he could hear at least 1 more walking behind him. Problem was he was sitting on the ground, gun in his lap pointing to the left, deer was on the right.

He swears his snoring calls em in!
Old 01-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I've actually come to appreciate napping on stand , I wake up refreshed and ready to spend the rest of the day in the woods . This allows me to stay up for the "golden hour" in the morning and then wake up in time for the midday action .
Old 01-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure I have.....especially when hunting in a blind or shooting house.

ORIGINAL: takedownfreak123

I guy I hunted with fell a sleep when he woke up he said five deer ran off. You really wounder how many hunters have fallen asleep and missed a nice buck.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

You must not snore either!!

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

I have fallen asleep many times.Twice woke up and had a deer within range.I guess I don't move much,not what my wife says though.

Charlie
Old 01-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Came up to my brother in law and found him fast asleep once. Snuck in andhid his gun 10 yards away then circled around and came in again and woke him up. He claimed he wasnt asleep and started walking away with me. We went about 50 yards when I asked him where his gun was. It was kinda comical watching him searching around in a panic while he still argued that he hadnt been sleeping.I'ts only been 10 years or so since that day and I'm sure he'll forgive me soon!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I can't believe no one here has ever fell asleep while on thierstands! Lie,Lie.......Lie! Rebel

I fell asleep 7 times last week. Bu tI was in my stand 12 1/4 hours.
Chuck7
Old 01-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now that IS funny!!

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Came up to my brother in law and found him fast asleep once. Snuck in andhid his gun 10 yards away then circled around and came in again and woke him up. He claimed he wasnt asleep and started walking away with me. We went about 50 yards when I asked him where his gun was. It was kinda comical watching him searching around in a panic while he still argued that he hadnt been sleeping.I'ts only been 10 years or so since that day and I'm sure he'll forgive me soon!

Quick Reply: Dont fall asleep!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.