Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what would you sacrifice

Old 01-04-2006, 08:09 AM

Default what would you sacrifice

Quietness for comfort? I have a light weight stand (gorilla) but its not comfy. I have a summit viper, comfy, sorta quiet BUT I can't hunt jus anywhere. Would the summit backpacker (the one that folds flat) be a good choice? I just need something comfy (all day hunt) small/quiet (to get in and out of the woods/bush/thick stuff. I was doing some thinking and I came up with, if I am going for comfort, then a climber is going to be the answer. I don't see how most hang on stands with that small seat, are going to be comfy.

The thing is, I am buying and trying. I don't want to keep buying stands. But I want to be read for this years bow season (2006). Another problem I run into with a climber, is if I find a great spot to hunt, usually there isn't a straight tree in sight and if there is, it has everything but the sink growing up around it. I am thinking of one of the lone wolf climbers or the summit backpacker. Any others I should know about?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:27 AM

Default RE: what would you sacrifice

btt
Old 01-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your debating between a hang-on VSa climber. Either way, each stand would require a tree that has no branches for a good portion up the tree in order to reach a good huting height.I know some will say that you can climb up on branches to hang a stand, but we are talking "safety" here folks.
One suggestion would be to go to that area right now, and while using a climbing belt of some sorts, climb up and start cutting off the branches that would be in the way. So come bowseason this fall, you will be all set!!

Old 01-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Perhaps what you need is a more comfy hang-on like this:
Plush and quiet
All day comfort and quiet as any other hang-on . There are other models out there that are similarly appointed , but this one has a decent price as a bonus .
Old 01-04-2006, 09:33 PM

comfort all the way.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Use what works......sometimes compromise whether one way or the other is necessary!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: maytom

Sounds like your debating between a hang-on VSa climber. Either way, each stand would require a tree that has no branches for a good portion up the tree in order to reach a good huting height.I know some will say that you can climb up on branches to hang a stand, but we are talking "safety" here folks.
One suggestion would be to go to that area right now, and while using a climbing belt of some sorts, climb up and start cutting off the branches that would be in the way. So come bowseason this fall, you will be all set!!

I actually prefer trees with branches for my hang ons. If any need cutting, cut them off as you attach the climbing sticks to the tree. When I reach the maximum height usually 15-20 feet I use another branch on the opposite side of the tree to put the chain or strap over so the stand doesnt slip. If I cant find one that has any branches at that height I use a screw in tree step to support the stand on the back side of the tree. I always use both a chain and a wratchet strap to mount my stands to trees. They are solid as a rock and quiet.