Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tough on the emotions

Old 01-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tough on the emotions

I have not killed many deer. When I have I always feel some kind of sadness when I come up on the animal I have just killed.
Well this time (Saturday morning) while gutting the doe. I found what was a small embryo in the doe's womb. It was a small, maybe 2 inch semi-clear sac with a baby deer inside.
That was tough to see for me. I tried not to think of it too much but couldn't help it. Now this is not going to stop me from hunting in the future but it sure did bother me at that moment.
Anybody else feel this way when they came upon that situation
Old 01-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Tough on the emotions

Never had that happen. Our hunting season is over by the middle of December, so I don't think the development stage gets that far during our season. I'm sure I would feel a little sad tho, its only normal.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

It happens to everyone, just no one knows it. You just got it first hand and sadly, you cannot do anything about it and it isn't your fault at all. The deer herd will survive and you got some good meat!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never found an embryo, but I can understand your feelings. I have a couple deer that come into my backyard feeder. They will let me get to within 3 or 4 feet of them. I'm the only one in the family that they will let get this close. It makes me feel really guilty when I look into those trusting eyes. I can't shake the guilt feeling, knowing I killed so many just like them.I even considered quiting hunting but I didn't. I had a thread on here a couple months ago about it. I can understand how you feel.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you pro-life or pro-abortion?
Humans kill human embryos every day.
I just thought it would be interesting to find your stance
on the issue.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't kill embryos every daynor was thedeerchoosing to end the embryo's life.
I think that my beliefs would be more relavant if i was a doctor who performed abortions

Old 01-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Danny thats a good sign. Nothing at all wrong with having respect for the animal you hunt. I killed a doe Saturday evening here with a bow that had the same thing. Emotions are what makes us human. Taking a lifeshould always a big deal no matter how many deer we have killed.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doe Dumper. This was my first late season doe. I should have expected seeing someting like this if I had thought about it but I didn't. When that embryo popped out I didn't know what it was. Once I closely looked at it it was obvious what I had in my hands and It was a sad feeling
Old 01-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I look at it all as the circle of life. The only time I can say it has ever gotten to me was one time when a guy next to me gut shot a doe. It jumped our fence and ran into a field I was hunting screaming that horrible sounding scream. I walked up to her in the field and she was on the ground still screaming that horrible sound, so Islit her throat (I was bow hunting and had no gun on me),loaded her up and took her to my neighbor. That sound has stuck with me. In a way, it has made me become a better shot, or at the least think my shots through more carefully. I have never gut shot a deer yet, and I think that experience will keep me from ever doing so.

I have never found embryos in a deer before, but I did once shot a big sow, and when I cleaned her, she was full of pigglets. It was creepy, but didnt bother me much because of all the hog problems we have been having on my land. I looked at it as thining the herd.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:23 PM

I found one in a road kill one time. I was cleaning the animal and it was hanging by the hind legs. I reached in to see if all of the junk was out of her chest and i grabbed something pulled it out, sure enough it was a tiny fawn but it scared me at first but then I didn't really feel bad. I just wondered how big it may have been someday if it was a buck.

[/align]

Quick Reply: Tough on the emotions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.