Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I filled all my tags
10.61%
Almost filled all my tags
22.73%
Got halfe my tags filled
6.06%
I got 2 of my tags filled
10.61%
I got 1 tag filled
16.67%
I got Squit Nada Nothing Eating tag soup
15.15%
My season was so bad the coyotes did better
3.03%
My season did so bad the cars/trucks beat me
1.52%
My season is still in so theres Hope
9.09%
I duct taped antlers on my head and walk in the woods gruntihg LoL
4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

How Did Your Season Go ?

Old 01-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How Did Your Season Go ?

22 so far. three 8 points and 19 antlerless. also got 1 coyote, i turkey gobbler and 2 red foxes. have until 3-25-06 to bow hunt does--but im stopping this saturday. for the last month or so i only hunt with friends who will take any deer i kill. i dont have any more room in my freezer.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

I had one tag this year and tagged out on a decent 8 point.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

i got a 5pt and a nice doe....my cuz was a lucky one this year..he got 2 8points with a 125 average score on them
Old 01-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not too bad for me. I passed on several younger bucks during bowseason. I ended up taking a nice 11 pointer with my bow and a doe. Saw3 other monsters during bow season.

2 does during gun season and passed on a bunch of young bucks. Only saw one big mature buck during gun season that was running about mach 10 through a cut corn field.

My biggest disappointment is the biggest buck I've seen in years around my land made it through the end of gun season only to get hit by a Honda Civic the day after the last day of gun season. I saw that dude 3 times during bowseason. Had him at 40 yards at one point. Too bad someone couldn't put a tag on him.

Never did get a shot at bigfoot either.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

I can honestly say that I had the chance to fire a shot at 1 doe this year and it was a fronal shot that I missed with my muzzleloader. The woods are thick here and I wanted some meat. I saw other deer during the season on 2 occassions, but was not presented with a shot because of branches or I couldn't tell what it was because of cover. So my first deer season hunting the Jefferson Nat. Forest here in VA has been dissappointing for me considering how much time I spent in the woods. I was out yesterday and the weather was perfect, but I didn't see a single deer. Between work and family I don't get enough time to hunt and that bothers the hell out of me.

One point of optimism for this season is that I'm learning to bowhunt and I bought 42 acres of land that I'm going to plant food plots on. I like to hunt but when I spend 9 hours in the woods and don't get anything it makes me feel like I wasted time that could be been better spent doing something else productive. When I have my food plots in place I expect to spend 3 hours on stand and get a deer. That is my goal for the '06 deer season. This is coming from a guy who spend nearly 50 hours in the woods this season.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:07 PM

killed three out of four. One with a rifle, one with a muzzleloader and one with a cross bow.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:42 PM

Doe w/ bow
4pt w/ gun

(first 2 deer ive killed)
Old 01-05-2006, 01:29 PM

Hunted a lot during bow season and 5 days during shotgun season. Only 2 deer to date, but I have the winter permit season to bow and shotgun hunt until middle of February. I'd like to get one more. It was a so-so year in my books.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 PM

3 doe and 1 nice 8-point so far. Season ends on the 15th. Limit is six in a season.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the first year in many that I didn't fill any tags. Oh well it was still a blast. My wife got 2 which was awesome!