Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hornady sst for whitetail?

Old 01-02-2006, 03:15 PM

Default RE: hornady sst for whitetail?

They have preformed excellent for me on hog and deer. Even at above average velocity at close range (117grs. SST in Wby 257mag. approx. 3400fps..buck at about 30yds. and big hog at about the same). About 5 bucks using Rem. 7mm-08 w/ 139grs. SST'sat different ranges..2 bucks using 139grs. SST in 14" 7-30Waters..one at 18 steps one at 55steps. Still trying to get one with Wby 240mag using the 95grs. SST..missed a small 8pt with it this yr..and will be using itsome this last wk of season. Everything I've shot with them have had full penetration and none or short run..actually the only run was a big 9pt. shot through heart.
I use them or Barnes when hunting with center fire rifle and T/C Contender. Also would use them in inline..but don't use inline anymore.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:03 PM

NO I THINK YOU GOT IT WRONG,I PUT IT IN (DEER HUNTING) ,THATS CAUSE I WANT TO KNOW HOW IT PERFORMES ON (DEER).....DAAAAAA!!!!!
NOT HOW IT SHOOTS OUT OF PEOPLES GUN LIKE IT MIGHT BE IN THE GUN FORUMS.....THE KEY WORD HERE IS (PERFORMANCE ON DEER)...ENOUGH SAID....LOL,GET WITH THE PROGRAM..
Old 01-02-2006, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Ifly

They have preformed excellent for me on hog and deer. Even at above average velocity at close range (117grs. SST in Wby 257mag. approx. 3400fps..buck at about 30yds. and big hog at about the same). About 5 bucks using Rem. 7mm-08 w/ 139grs. SST'sat different ranges..2 bucks using 139grs. SST in 14" 7-30Waters..one at 18 steps one at 55steps. Still trying to get one with Wby 240mag using the 95grs. SST..missed a small 8pt with it this yr..and will be using itsome this last wk of season. Everything I've shot with them have had full penetration and none or short run..actually the only run was a big 9pt. shot through heart.
I use them or Barnes when hunting with center fire rifle and T/C Contender. Also would use them in inline..but don't use inline anymore.
SEE THIS GUYS GOT THE PICTURE HERE,THE BIG PICTURE...
THANKS FOR THE INFO, THATS WHAT I WAS WANTING TO HEAR...
Old 01-02-2006, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

ORIGINAL: trophytaker308

no it dosent answer my question still,i was wondering with the bullet performance with a high powerd rifle...not a shotgun,i would have posted it in the muzzleloading if i was refering to muzzleloaders...thanks anyway...again i was wanting to know the performance on deer with this bullet,good or bad,how far the shot was,and what caliber rifle you were using..... (((PERFORMANCE))))...LOL
Then you are still in the wrong forum if you would like to reach the largest approprate audience. If you want to know specifics or technicals on a bullets downrange performance, (even if it relates to a specific form of wildlife), you will get more response from either the reloading or gun forums....of course you willget some responses here, but experience shows that you will do better in the other forums...

I would also suggest that you rename your thread (specify that you mean Rifle performance).

Good Luck...
NO I THINK YOU GOT IT WRONG,I PUT IT IN (DEER HUNTING) ,THATS CAUSE I WANT TO KNOW HOW IT PERFORMES ON (DEER).....DAAAAAA!!!!!
NOT HOW IT SHOOTS OUT OF PEOPLES GUN LIKE IT MIGHT BE IN THE GUN FORUMS.....THE KEY WORD HERE IS (PERFORMANCE ON DEER)...ENOUGH SAID....LOL,GET WITH THE PROGRAM..
Old 01-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I realize you are new here and perhaps are not aware of the rules. I suggest you read them. In particular...

8. Do not engage in "flame-wars" or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to "pick a fight" with one another.

Enjoy the balance of this thread....

Old 01-02-2006, 04:24 PM

1ST YOU TELL ME TO GO TO MUZZLELOADERS FORUMS
2ND YOU TELL ME TO GO TO THE GUN FORUMS.
THEN YOU TELL ME I MISPLACED WHAT I WROTE..I WANTED TO KNOW ON WHAT I TYPED,NOT TO HEAR YOU OPINION ON AVALIBLE ABOUT THE AMMO OR,WERE I SHOULD PUT WHAT I WROTE.. THANKS ANYWAY...
Old 01-02-2006, 04:46 PM

I told you to go to the muzzle loader forums. Usually when you mention the SST's people think about the muzzle loader bullet or the new shotgun offering, not centerfire bullets. Heck I didn't even know it was offering in centerfire. So stating that you were interested in centerfire performance wouldn't be bad idea, heck the caliber of weapon you use would have been nice if you were really interested in performance.

We only suggested what we did to help you get more information, no reason for you to get all bent out of shape and be rude about it. We could have just told you to use the search feature or use a search engine and research the bullet and load.

The topic could really go in either forum, but I bet it would have gotten more responses in the gun section. I don't know about the reloading forum, I never go there.

That's nice, we try to help you and we are the jerks. I did a search for you and found some info on them, but screw it, look for yourself if you are not going to apreciate my efforts. It's something you could have done on your own any way if you weren't to busy arguing about nothing.

Paul
Old 01-02-2006, 04:48 PM

I shot a small buck with them a few years back. He dropped in his tracks. And no meat was messed up. Clean exit hole.

They grouped very well out of my .270win.

They are kinda hard to find around here unless you order them off the internet. I think they are nothing more than Hornaday's version of the Winchester Ballistic Tip.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

1ST YOU TELL ME TO GO TO MUZZLELOADERS FORUMS
2ND YOU TELL ME TO GO TO THE GUN FORUMS.
THEN YOU TELL ME I MISPLACED WHAT I WROTE..I WANTED TO KNOW ON WHAT I TYPED,NOT TO HEAR YOU OPINION ON AVALIBLE ABOUT THE AMMO OR,WERE I SHOULD PUT WHAT I WROTE.. THANKS ANYWAY...
Actually it was Paul Mohr, a very experienced member with well over a thousand post on this board who suggested that you go the muzzleloader board.

Neither he, nor Rebel, nor Myself, all experienced members of this board, could understand the meaning of your original post until you described yourself better.

That is when I suggest that the Gun, or Reloading forum was the BEST spot to find your answer. If you choose not to take that advice thenin my experience,you will more than likely recieve less responses.

Good Luck...
Old 01-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Trophy, there's the Sabot SST, Shotshell SST and the Centerfire SST, next time be more specific onyour questions, that's all we are saying!

Quick Reply: hornady sst for whitetail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.