Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 shoot a 2nd deer before you recover the 1st deer? >

shoot a 2nd deer before you recover the 1st deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
56.86%
no
43.14%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

shoot a 2nd deer before you recover the 1st deer?

Old 01-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: shoot a 2nd deer before you recover the 1st deer?

well this yr I shot 2 in a matter of minutes,I usually dont but the farmer wants em dead so in order to keep hunting on this piece I killed 6 this yr so far
Old 01-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I voted no, out of respect for the animal!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: vadeer

I need to knowthe first was down before going after a second.
I've missed two deer over the priortwo seasons due to scope being knocked out.
Don't like the uncertainly.
I agree with you, but I think for the sake of this thread, we're saying that the first shot is 100% certain hit!

Again,for me I wouldn't want the possibility of two tracking jobs at once.
For me, when the shot is fired, the hunt is over! I have missed before, but I will always get down, and be sure of a miss. Then I usually will call it a day. I have got back on stand, and killed deer after missing before though!
Ipride myself on tracking, so I'm just saying, "think before shooting at the second deer! Theres not much that irritates me more than finding peoples "missed deer!"
Old 01-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

if it's legal where you are hunting, why not? i don't think i would but i'm not going to look down on those that would.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:13 PM

well this year ive been holdin back on the does in hope to get a shot on a big buck. well early dec. i had 14 deer in front of me. 2 of them were small bucks. i decided i needed some meet so i shot the biggest doe. then thay all scatered. seen another in the distance. shot her in shoulder and droped her, then another and dropped her too. it took me forever to get all them deer cleaned. but the freezer is full now. i felt there was a need to clean out some of the does.

this was right at dark
Old 01-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

I have killed 3 with in 5 minutes. I allso taged out [5 tags doe or buck]in one day. I normaly kill a doe and her fawns. I have allso found if you do not move after the shot lots of times the any deer around will walk strate to you.

Ever time I kill more than one deer at a time I can ALLWAYS see the 1st one dead. In a good shot the deer never get out of sight.I hunt prity open spots.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:34 PM
bigcountry

I voted yes, but change my mind. I have done it many times, and each year the drag is killing me. I ain't against cause of ethics or any crap, because I might have a freaking heart attack draggin the second one for 2 miles. And nobody needs that.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
I voted yes, but change my mind. I have done it many times, and each year the drag is killing me. I ain't against cause of ethics or any crap, because I might have a freaking heart attack draggin the second one for 2 miles. And nobody needs that.
BC, I don't know if I agree with you here or not! Depends upon whether, or not I'm in the WILL!!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me and many others I hunt with have done it before with no problem.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:11 AM

I find that my "call of the shot" is pretty accurate. This year I had three deer come to my stand. One a big bodied 8 point and two does. At about 25-30 yards I lung shot the buck and I knew it was a good shot. He ran out of my view ( its real thick where I hunt) but I knew it was a good shot as he ran I could see him leaking blood from the far side.

I worked the bolt on my rifle andone of the doeshad moved a few feet but she hadn't fled yet so I lung shot her too.

I knew from experience that lots of lung shot deer go for a a few yds before they go down. I found the buck maybe 30 yards away. The doe didn't go far.

I have done a number of doubles over the yearsand as long as you feel you can recoverI don't think its a big deal.

Quick Reply: shoot a 2nd deer before you recover the 1st deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.