Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you smoke while in your deer stand? >

Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
36.63%
No
51.49%
Sometimes
11.88%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

Old 01-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

this poll is for the smokers. please don't vote no because you don't smoke at all.

i do smoke in my treestand. i figure if i can't relax and enjoy myself, why be in the woods. after all, this is why i love to hunt...to be outdoors, stress free and relax. i do try to keep the smoking to a minimum and i also hunt as high as i can in the tree that i'm in to reduce the chance of being busted.

sometimes it doesn't even seem to matter, keep in mind i hunt public land where human contact is throughout the year. i sat in my stand this year and smoked a cigarette with 6 doe's feeding under me. i dunno if they smelled it because of how high i was hunting or if they didn't care.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

If I'm in for a three hour tour I'll refrain, but if I'm able to stay out longer I'll have a few here and there. No more than one an hour.

Doesn't make much sense (neither does smoking reall but....)seeing asI soak myself with cover scent before I go out and before I put my clothes back in the bag. Personally I've seen does, yearlings and fawns while smoking, but never a mature buck. Whether they actually see me smoking, catch a whiff of the smoke once the wind does that swirly twirly hey it's been in my face all day until now crap I don't know. I just know that I've only seen bucks and even mature does when I was smoke free.

The smell of smoke isn't new to the deer in my piece of the woods, but the smart/mature deer know that the smell is accompanied by a smoker.

I may never get a wallhanger but like you I just like to enjoy myself and have fun. I don't take things as seriously as I used to.

As a side note, and I think it's very important, as a ruleI don't smoke when hunting with others. If someone spent several hundred bucks on scent-lock this and scent free that I'm not going to be ignorant and cover them with the smell of smoke. And unless they've given me permission I won't smoke while on stand in someone else's piece of woods.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cannot answer because I don't smoke...
Old 01-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry, I voted before reading the thread. I don't smoke
Old 01-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

well my dad smokes while hunting. dont know if it affects the deer but we had a 6 point buck come up just after he finished smoking a cigarette but we were down wind of the buck so he couldnt smell us...
Old 01-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never smoked while archery hunting. The first day of rifle season, I don't think it matters around here,(PA.) due to the fact that the woods are crawling with hunters in most spots and scent is everywhere. Same with relieving your bladder.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Dominant Buck

While I don't smoke anymore , when I did smoke I did it on stand . I never noticed that it had any effect on deer that were upwind of me ...
Old 01-02-2006, 09:45 AM

I don't smoke because I am a heath nut, dieting and weight lifting when i am not hunting or in class. But if I were to smoke, I sure wouldn't do it in the stand. Plus these two idiots that hunt on our land, smoke and they haven't killed a deer since Jesus was on earth. But that could just be because they are loud, shoot at anything that moves and don't know how to aim a rifle.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

SMOKING KILLS
Old 01-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

My hunting partner doesn't smoke in his stand, but does right beforeheadinginto the woods. Even withthe scent of tobacco, he had a buck pass right under him within 5 mins. He let it walk and took the next buckthat wasanother 10 min behind. Tobacco ,the next scent away?

Quick Reply: Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.