Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you smoke while in your deer stand? >

Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
36.63%
No
51.49%
Sometimes
11.88%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I voted no, but I chew.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I smoke every time I'm on stand and still see/kill deer. The important thing is to have the right wind for the stand site you're hunting, along with being high up. I'm usually 20'-30' up. As mentioned, it's more the movements associated with smoking that'll get you busted.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

I think the sent from smokeing only affects deer if they associate it with danger.deer are pretty curiouse as it is if they havent had a bad experiance before with the sent of tabacco it wont spook,just my experiance.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

i shot a 151 7/8 white tail 10 ft in front of me on the ground wind in his face while having a smoke and also several other deer, but I have also been busted while smoking ??
tough to say
if your concerned Dont smoke, if not have one
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

i do if the wind is right during rifle season, but i dont take the time to prepare all my bow junk to stink it up with a cigarette.
but i mostly bow from a partially dried up creek bed and ground blinds for bow season.
had a small 8 point walk 20 feet behind me and my daughter during youth season, that's the way all my smoke was going, and where he was he could see us plain as day. there is no cover from back there, and after we had a small staring contest, he strolled off....giving us a quartering away shot til he left the property, i couldnt let my daughter take the shot..as it was her 1st time, and i'd of had to explained shot placement for that shot to her on the spot. i called the ball and told her no shot.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't tell you how many times I needed to put my smoke down to shoot !

It must be an attractant ..................... LOL !!!

Just like when you need to go to the "bathroom"; they seem to walk right in on you.

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-18-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've quit in the past 5 year but I would always get in my tree stand and light up, called it checking the wind...If you are hunting where the smoke is going to the deer, you aren't set up right...I've killed them with a butt in my mouth...

I even remember killing one buck, lighting up a smoke to celebrate and having another come in, I killed him too!!!

I did carry 35mm film canisters for the ashes and butts, but smoking never kept me from killing deer...
Old 11-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Spike

I smoked twice in my stand last year. Didn't see anything either.

I quit smoking in January so I haven't had to deal with it this year.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i do if the wind is right during rifle season, but i dont take the time to prepare all my bow junk to stink it up with a cigarette.
but i mostly bow from a partially dried up creek bed and ground blinds for bow season.
had a small 8 point walk 20 feet behind me and my daughter during youth season, that's the way all my smoke was going, and where he was he could see us plain as day. there is no cover from back there, and after we had a small staring contest, he strolled off....giving us a quartering away shot til he left the property, i couldnt let my daughter take the shot..as it was her 1st time, and i'd of had to explained shot placement for that shot to her on the spot. i called the ball and told her no shot.
I'm sure you smoke some natural stuff while in stand too

In fact, deer probably start acting funny when they walk downwind of you.

btw-Sorry, I voted no before reading the don't vote no if you don't smoke part.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't begin to tell ya how many deer my Pop killed when I was a kid with a Doral menthol hanging from his lips.

Quick Reply: Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.