Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When ya gotta go pee

Old 01-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: When ya gotta go pee

If there were ever words to live by..........

121553 (bobby) sez ......
Chuck, make sure you grab the right jug when your thirsty.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

my grandfather pissed in a fresh scrape one day when we were out hunting. we went back to that scrape the next day and it was obvious that the buck did not like that. the scrape was hit HARD sometime while we were gone. it was if he attempted to paw all of his urine (scent) out of the scrape and replace it with his.

on another note, he told me back in the day, before buck urine and doe estrus was sold in stores. people would take their wives feminine products that were discarded in the trash and place them in a plastic bag. while they were in the woods, they would tie them above scrapes with the strings.

i dunno if this works and i wouldn't wanna try it but he swears it was done back in the day. now if he's right, it would appear as if the deer could smell a female on her menstrual cycle and it would be the same as a doe in heat..regardless of the different species, the bucks would come. maybe the bucks know the difference between human urine and theirs BUT by being in "rut" they aren't scared and see us as competition......JUST A THOUGHT, what do ya'll think???????
Old 01-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've freshened a few scrapes in my day! Killed bucks there too!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

on another note, he told me back in the day, before buck urine and doe estrus was sold in stores. people would take their wives feminine products that were discarded in the trash and place them in a plastic bag. while they were in the woods, they would tie them above scrapes with the strings.

Cop, when I use to hunt Aucilla WMA back in the late 80's, there was a young lady from Tallahasee that would always shoot the biggest buck in all three huntingseasons. That's what she did and don't care who does'nt believe it, it's the God's truth!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

have you ever tried it Rebel? lmao
Old 01-01-2006, 10:59 PM

I live in ohio and they used to have a hunting show called wild ohio. The DNR did a study where they put out different peoples urine in a feild where deer grazed and it had no affect on the deer at all. The show actually showed some bucks sparing over a spot that had urine on it. They concluded that it had no affect on the deer. I will say it could have A bad/good effect on deer, two years ago I had The nicest ten point I have had come to my stand that came out down wind just after I went onetime and when he got downwind from my piss he made a beeline for my stand and never presented me with shot. Then when he got under my stand and was sniffing, andmud from my boots fell and he spooked around the tree, then came back for another wiff only to walk back behind the stand and leave. So when I gota go I just go.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

As I said, I've killed 'em over scrapes freshened with human urine!
I believe that MOST times, human urine will attract them, or have NO effect on them at all!
Notice, I said "MOST of the time!" It is ALWAYS best to play the wind, and be as scent free as possible!
Deer are amazing animals! If not, we probably wouldn't prize them so highly!
Sometimes though, I think that we give them a "god-like credit," that is just not true! Again, they do have great survival scences, and anyone that pays no attention to wind, and scent, will not be as successful as they could be! But, I've seen some "how-to shows," that would make you believe that if you touched one leaf, on one tree, all deer would abandon the whole forrest, forever!
So........... relieve yourself!!!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:00 AM

Just let 'er fly! I have had deer under my stand many times while it is still steaming! (okay not steaming but within a half hour of the deed) My experience is that they don't spook by the smell, and it may actually make them curious. I have heard the same thing about spitting while chewing tobacco although I don't do that. Ugh! [:'(]
Old 01-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are gonna pee in a bottle, thenyoumight as wellfart in a ziplock bag.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Sometimes though, I think that we give them a "god-like credit," that is just not true!!!!!!
Big 10-4 on that one. The more I hunt the more I've come to believe it. I've made some stupid mistakes and still had deer come in.

As for the original topic, this year I bought a urine bottle kit from Dick's Sporting Goods that came with the bottle and a circular hanger that screwed into the tree. Nice big opening and just the right size bottle. I thought it would be perfect. I realized how wrong I was the first time I tried to use it. The way I layer my clothes means I have to slip it in under the layers to use it. No big deal though since I keep things loose so when I'm sitting things don't dig into my gut. Long story short (no pun intended ) that bottle gets awfully darn cold while hanging from the tree when the temps drop.Slipping it under those nice warm layers to use it proved futile.

Quick Reply: When ya gotta go pee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.