Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - I have ran dogs
27.66%
Yes - I would consider running dogs
19.15%
Yes- And i got a MONSTER buck doing it
12.77%
Hell NO - ITS CHEATING!!!
40.43%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Running Dogs

Old 01-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Running Dogs

This subject has been hammered on in another thread. My perspective is that running deer (or anything) with dogs is just as sporting as sitting in a stand with a scoped rifle or $500 compound bow with newfangled sights. But then again some of those who say that dog hunting is unsportsmanlike may actually take their deer by stalking with a wooden bow, deer sinew bowstring, and chert-tipped arrows. If so, my comments are not directed toward you.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:17 AM

Chert tipped arrows. Nae thats not very sportsmanlike is it.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

You're right. Let's go with fire hardened wooden arrow points. Or even better, an atalatl...But you will need a good obsidian knife to skin the damn things...
Old 01-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I chase racoons with hounds over the winter quite a bit, but never with deer, and probably won't ever do it (It's also illegal in Illinois). Then again I don't think it's cheating. When we do deer drives we have people standing and then we have the "dogs" walking through the brushy draws jumping the deer up.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've run dogs and think it's quite fun. but it has a time and a place to do it. sometimes dog hunting can get on my nerves but that's what happens when you hunt on public dog hunting area.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Fork Horn

It's legal to run dogs in Ontarioas well as party hunting. As was said,try hitting one on the move in hardwoods.It's somewhat harder then capping one on the edge of a crop field.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 AM

I RUN DOGS EVERY SATURDAY AND LOVE IT. I WILL DO IT UNTIL THE DAY I DIE EVEN WHEN THE OUTLAW IT. IF YOU THINK ABOUT IF YOU ARE A GOOD STILL HUNTER KILLING A DEER WOULD BE AS SIMPLE AS GOING TO STAND THAT YOU PLACED RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DEER EVERYDAY LIFE. PUT CROSS HAIRS ON THE BIGGEST BUCK AND PULLING A TRIGGER. DONT GET ME WRONG I STILL ALSO BUT YOU TRY TO HAVE A DEER CROSS A DIRT ROAD MAKE SURE IT IS A BUCK AND WEIGHS OVER 75 POUNDS AND PUTTING A GOOD SHOT IT BEFORE IT IS OUT OF SIGHT. DOG HUNTING ALSO MAKES FOR A GREAT SOCIAL CLUB. AND PERSONALLY I HAVE NEVER KILLED A DEER BY MY TRUCK I HAVE ALWAYS HAD TO TRY TO DETERMINE WHERE THE DEER IS HEADED AND GET TO THE BRANCH OR RIVER BEFORE HE LOSES THE HOUNDS IN THE DEEP WATER. MAYBE MOST OF YOU SHOULD TRY IT BEFORE YOU HATE ON IT.

DAVID HOLMES
SUMMERVILLE SC
Old 01-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mind people who hunt deer with dogs, though I have never been in an area where it is legal. I do have hounds though for running mt lions. I think that all of these questions about if hunters think another type of hunting is wrong need to stop. The whole deal is that we are HUNTING (or the dogs).

It can take a good deal of time to train an animal, and lots of money can be put into tracking collars in case the dogs get lost, training dogs for the hunting you want them to do, vet bills from various circumstances, and various other things that may come up from time to time.

A person who has a good pack of deer hounds is no better norworse than a person who hasa 160 acre plot that they own or lease, and have a field of biologic that the deer come into every day, and then a couple of stands in various locations around the field from which they can take their deer of choice.

Both extremes deal with people who take pride in what they do, and have a good deal of time, money and energy tied into the HUNTING they enjoy. Both people are helping the sport rather than hurting it in the fact that we are still doing it.

Strength in numbers. If the stand hunters try to eliminate the dog hunting, then the anti-hunting groups will take advantage of that and try to eliminate other forms of hunting until there is no more hunting.

We all need to stick together, support our fellow hunters, whether or not they hunt the same as we do, and keep our sport alive, however we do it.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Charlie B,

that's the most intelligent and articulate statement I have heard on this site thus far.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:42 PM

I've have not run dogs but I've hunted over dogs because of my hunting situation. I hunt on a 1000 acre peanut/cottn farm that my step mom owns. She lets 2 hunt clubs come in there and run dogs. We usually get in there an hour or two before they do so I get a little quite time. I have killed 1 deer without the dogs and 2 being chased. I actually like to hear the dogs running. It gets your heart pumping too. If they run dogs it will ruin still/stand hunting until next season. I'm going to get down there a bow hunt next fall to see what is really down there.