Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Off Season Work / Homemade Treestand >

Off Season Work / Homemade Treestand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Off Season Work / Homemade Treestand

Old 12-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Off Season Work / Homemade Treestand

Looks good. I`d say an A for effort,but I just picked up a hunters view razorback for $30 (reg $50)at................. you guessed it Wally world.
I`m to lazy to build my own,lol.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Are you going to use the screw in steps to get to it once it's attached to the tree? I made a ladder stand 2 years ago. I should go out there and take a picture for ya except I'm hunting at a different place this year.

I also chose to make mine out of regular wood except mine is a very heavy ladder stand. WhatI would do is seal the wood my friend and then paint it camo. This will preserve the wood or it will rot quickly. You can seal it with Kilz or any other old paint.

How do you plan to attach the platform to the tree?? One other small thing...you could easily fall out of it if you fall asleep. You may want to wear a harness.
Chuck7
Old 12-31-2005, 07:24 PM

You say that you are young. I think the best advice I could give you is to save the money and buy one. Like stated above, you can buy a cheap lock on stand for around $30-$50.

It may sound like a little much to a young person, but it is woth waiting and saving the money than breaking your neck.

Not saying that this b/c its bad work. Looks to me that you darn good with yoru hands. Just speaking to you from a safety stand point.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have many treestands, I think I have 6 as of now.... I just thought one more couldn't hurt and I had extra wood around the house which would cost me no money... This isn't going to be my most used stand or anything, just to play the wind and get a feel from a different stand once in a while... I have a harness in my room to use with it... and I will only have it out for a little while throughout the year so I am not to worried about it rotting... Who knows, I might treat it... It was just the wood I had around. Thanks guys!
Old 12-31-2005, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

pretty straight forward wooden tree stand. Depending on how high you want it. I usually start with 4, 12 foot 4x4S for the legs and overlap about 4 foot and bolt together so it can be taken apart and carried in. The platform is just a box with eye bolts attached to the two ends for a chain and chain tightener. Since I weigh 300 lbs I use 1x1's between each step for added strength.
I take my stands down every year and store at home and inspect before putting them up the following year.
Unless you can get your lumber and the hardware at reduced prices, you can buy a all metal one cheaper than these can be built and they're allot easier to carry in. But old habits die hard.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

One in action

Old 01-01-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like that climber there buckmister, I have one of them right now, and am going to replace it with my new stand because it only is about 9 feet up and the deer look at me the whole time because it is almost directly eye-level... I would never be able to pull back on them in them tight, close quarters... I needed to get up higher...
Old 01-01-2006, 08:06 AM

AlthoughI believe you did a great job, please do youself a favor and leave this stand as a conversation piece and buy yourself one from a sporting good's store. This shows me your love for the sport which is very satisfying for me but do not put your trust in a wooden lock-on stand. If you must build your own wooden stand make it a ladder where the ground is for support not to break your fall. I don't even know you and would be willing to chip in some money for you to buy a safe stand. Remember your safety isn't only for yourself but also for your family.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im not asking for money SKID, thanks though...
Old 01-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Wow ...That was a very kind gesture.

Quick Reply: Off Season Work / Homemade Treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.