HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what kind of bullets? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/127058-what-kind-bullets.html)

Chuck7 12-31-2005 04:27 PM

RE: what kind of bullets?

Reb,
Now that you mentioned it, I did notice the power points jamming at the range. When I returned to the flat nosed Hollow Points they stopped jamming.

I also was shooting it sand bagged with scope. The flat nosed had the better groups by far. I haven't shot the Core lokt s yet.

TimberCreek 12-31-2005 04:50 PM

Nosler CT Failsafe 30 cal all the way!!

CamoCop 12-31-2005 09:07 PM

180 grain ballistic tips

Sniper151 12-31-2005 10:57 PM

In dense foliage I like a heavy, round nose bullet like the Core Lokt in 180 to 200 gr. For long range open country or power line shots I like the Spitzer or SST bullets in 150 to 165 gr.

stubblejumper 12-31-2005 11:03 PM

In dense foliage I like a heavy, round nose bullet like the Core Lokt in 180 to 200 gr. For long range open country or power line shots I like the Spitzer or SST bullets in 150 to 165 gr.
Contrary to what many people believe,tests have proven thatlower velocityround nosed bullets are effected just as much as higher velocity pointed bullets when they strike branches or other obstacles.
[align=right]
[/align]

3Ddepression 12-31-2005 11:03 PM

CT Nosler partition gold or Norma Oryx.

skeeter 7MM 12-31-2005 11:09 PM

I have always been partial to Nosler offerings, they just plain get er done! For deer sized,I to like the NBT but am going to toy with the Accubond this off season some more. For the bigger stuff like moose and elk my old standbyis the Partition. However after this fall I am growing fond of the Barnes TSX for this application.

I have dambled with numerous but always hold Noslers as the benchmark for my hunting bullets.

Sniper151 12-31-2005 11:11 PM

stubble, please post this study if you can find it. I would be very interested in reading this report on how they tested and arrived at this synopsis.
Thanks, Chuck

3Ddepression 12-31-2005 11:18 PM

I cant give you the exact source here sniper151 but I have read several articles in hunting magazines regarding the better twig resistance of pointed fast bullets compared to slow and blunt. The method used in these cases were the following. They put twigsnext each toother and fired into the wall then measuredhow much and how large a percentage that deflected or tipped over.
Sorry that I cant give you more specs.

stubblejumper 12-31-2005 11:45 PM

I have seen at least three tests in different hunting magazines.One was in petersons hunting but I don't remember which issue.Wooden dowels of various sizes were used in one test and actual branches were used in a couple of others.In one test the two bullets that faired best were a 250gr .338" pointed bullet fired out of a 338win mag,and a 55gr .224" bullet fired out of a 22-250.The larger diameter flat points and round points did not do as well despite being heavier and being fired at lower velocities.The conclusion of all of the tests was that the idea of a brush bullet is a myth.