Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are u kidding me?

Old 12-30-2005, 10:50 AM

Default RE: Are u kidding me?

Wouldn't feel better to say you found this deer, studied hime, patterned him and eventually took him all because of you r hard work. I just really injoy my time spent outdoors and I am not out to score on a trophy I will gladly take any doe that comes close enough but don't get me wrong if a buck comes by he is toast. I also respect peoples choices to go to these expensive hunts if I had the money I would probably do it to. You expierince things on these hunts you couldn't otherwise have done. But when you kill a big buck like that you raise you bar a little higher and for us that hunt on public land, a buck like that just won't happen.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

After hearing those prices,I feel priviledged to live in Alberta.I can hunt whitetails here forapprox $55and then across the border in Saskatchewan for tags totalling $160.Bucks weighing over 300lbs and scoring in the 140 to 150 range aren't hard to find and there are some much larger bucks in the area.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:43 AM

Jacket= $200
Boots= $100
12ga. Shotgun= $600
Hunting License & Tags= $60
Scouting and taking your first buck on your own= PRICELESS

THERE ARE SOME THINGS MONEY CAN'T BUY, FOR EVERYTHING ELSE, THERE'S YOUR PARENTS
Old 12-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

I personally never have, and never will, pay near that amount for hunting!
But before I go on, let me say this, "while it is NOT something that most of us would do, NOT all high-dollar hunting, should be considered "canned hunting!"

Many of these ranches are as big assomecounties! Or, for some of you, bigger than the STATE that you live in!

If a person can afford it, and it is LEGAL, whats the big problem!!!???

NO, its not the same as MOST OF OUR HUNTING EXPERIENCES, I've been in some peoples game rooms that have had 20+ deer mounts in them! ALL of which,were much bigger than any that I've killed,and bigger than most any deer I've seen posted here for that matter! IF THAT IS WHAT HUNTING IS TO THEM, IT STILL PROMOTES HUNTING!
Jag....Couldn't have said it better.
The price anyone pays to hunt is up to that individual. The price an outfitter charges is up to them as well. What's the big deal?

IMO these same people probably won't comment on a hunter paying $12,000 for a new or antique rifle or shotgun.

I'll never hear... "That's waaaaay too much to spend for a gun. Why pay all that money when you can buy this nice little Remingtonfor a few hundred bucks?".

Whatever makes you happy.

Good post Jag.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

There's a Indian Reservation in New Mexico that charges $25,000 for a trophy Elk!
Old 12-30-2005, 03:01 PM

i wouldn't give it a second thought. not everyone is gunna hunt like I/we do. their views differ from mine/ours but i dont see a problem. as long as those high prices stay on ranches and dont leak out to other hunting.

and like someone else mentioned, not all high priced ranches are "canned". some of them are 1000+ acres, in fact quite a few are. and lets face it, even on a canned hunt things are out of your hands. the deer do what they want. scout all you want..its out of your hands. IMO. im not advocating canned hunts nor am i going against them. i like to keep an open mind.

happy hunting
Old 12-30-2005, 03:32 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that it is wrong. I think we are just amazed at what the whitetail "industry" has become in the last 10-15 yrs., and will there be a limit as to what people will pay/charge to shoot "trophy" bucks? My wife has asked me why I don't go on one of these hunts? Actually it would probably be cheaper for me when considering the farm equipment purchased,food plots twice a year,mineral supplements etc. etc. and the amount of time every week all year long that is spent in the woods looking for deer and "sign", but I enjoy trying to find a buck on my family land, figuring him out and eventually (hopefully) shooting him with bow/gun. I know that I will probably never get a chance at B/C buck this way because in NC there are not that many around...even 120 -140 class would beVERY special, but sometimes you can come across a decent 8-10pt with maybe 15"-17" spread. I will usually mount the bucks that I take (even if he is not as big assome of the others)to remember the hunt and see that deer anytime I want to. If I paid someone to get the chance at a big buck and I got one he still would not be as special to me as my "homegrown" bucks even though he may have 50-60" more antler. Not saying anyone's preference is the right one or wrong one. Maybe alot of the people going on these $20k hunts are so busy making all this money I guess they might not have the time to go out much and do a little scouting, hanging stands etc. So at least they are HUNTING if it is only that 1 week out of the year.I guess it is pumping more $$$ into the economy and the hunting industry so good for them.It's just not on the list of "things to do" for some of us. Sorry to ramble. JUST HUNT!!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Boy oh boy, deer hunting has come a long ways since the days when farmer Brown would build a stand out of two-by-fours, stick a few slugs in his rabbit gun, and go hunting dressed in his work clothes.

For 12K, I better be on an African Safari wih topless native girls as gun bearers...

As for the canned hunts, i don't know that size of the set-up matters. I had an uncle that used to pay to hunt an enormous ranch in Texas. He always got his big buck, thanks to timed feeders.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Boy oh boy, deer hunting has come a long ways since the days when farmer Brown would build a stand out of two-by-fours, stick a few slugs in his rabbit gun, and go hunting dressed in his work clothes.

Hush! you're bring back good ole memories!
Old 12-30-2005, 04:53 PM

Hey brentwood neighbor, I know a farm In pa that you can shoot out of his barn for a lot less then that , he has some crazy racked bucks Imean like 27 to over thirty points nontipical and some big basket racked that are always 12 and over, plus these deer are over 250lbs..I buy his racks and resell them at my store.....I live In sandown nh

Quick Reply: Are u kidding me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.