Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

INFURIATING--Anything to do??

Old 12-30-2005, 08:24 AM

Default RE: INFURIATING--Anything to do??

We have the same problem on our land here in LA. There is a good bit of road frontage and when it doens't rain it's easy to access. My best advice would be to post it and try to show your presence as much as possible. You also might try what someone else mentioned and get a local trustworthy hunter to watch over it for you.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I heartily agree with some of the other posters about giving a reliable local hunter access to your land. Just one extra set of eyes, and a cell phone,can get a lot done. If its someone who isreally grateful, they may even be inclined to patrol it from time to time even when they aren;t hunting.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:03 PM

When they do it here, they cut the antlers and hams off if it is a buck then leave the rest. If it is a doe, they just take the hams.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:52 PM

I feel bad for you guys. It really angers me to see this. This sort of thing is why it is getting harder and harder to gain access to private land. I know this may sound bold but if anyone needs anytype of help with a problem like this I live in central missouri and would love to stop people like this.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

man i know how ya feel we have hunters tresspassing where we hunt. all it makes me want to do is just set some kind of trap that doesent kill them but hurts them pretty bad.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah----I really understand what you're dealing with. I'm the caretaker for a 100 acre estate that adjoins my property. It is good deer hunting, and is posted and patrolled by myself at the request of the estate heirs. Tresspassers constantly drive me nuts. They seem to act like they didn't see the signs or feel they aren't doing anything wrong. I take their names and address when I catch them, and threaten them with arrest if they are discovered here again. The ones on ATV's are the ones who are the worst. Deer season is bad. Constantlychasing people off here. I thought about trailcams, but fear they will be discovered and smashed. I have put notices in the local paper that the properties are posted, and have sent written letters to known offenders and neighbors informing them that violators will not be tolerated, and that the State police and County Sherrif's offices have been notified to increase patrols. This seems to help for awhile, but people have short memories, and after awhile it starts again. I've sat upright in bed in the middle of the night after hearing a gunshot. Never able to catch anyone in the act.
As for the nails in the wood approach, my brother-in-law used it very successfully in one of his hayfields. Found the offender the next day with four flat tires. A neighbor. It is DEFINITELY a big problem. Good luck from one who is going thru it too.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:06 PM

This IS one of the reasons its harder to find a place to hunt. I have permission to hunt 90 acres down the road from my house. The ONLY reason I was given the rights to the land is b/c the land owner doesn't hunt and was tired of running people off of his land and catching them night hunting. He gave me the rights b/c he thought if someone hunted on the land it would keep people off.

I went down there two days ago and someone put three tree stands on the land. They didn't put them in the tree, they are laying on the ground, waiting to be put in the tree. So, i guess his theroy didn't work this year. And what makes it so bad is I go on the land a pretty good bit, so who ever put the stands here obviously has no idea about me being there.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

sounds like you and the landowner are now the proud owners of three deer stands....