Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Does BIG scrapes mean BIG buck? >

Does BIG scrapes mean BIG buck?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Big scrapes are made by big bucks
17.46%
The size of the scrape has no barring on the size of the buck.
82.54%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Does BIG scrapes mean BIG buck?

Old 12-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Does BIG scrapes mean BIG buck?

I am curious what your opinion is on scrape size VS buck size ..do you think in general the size of the scrape relates to the size of the buck that made it?

dd
Old 12-29-2005, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does BIG scrapes mean BIG buck?

i votedf yes because a few of the books i've read said that so I think its true but i could always be wrong. If i am im blame it on the book authors tho
Old 12-29-2005, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I voted NO. I have seen some real small bucks make some pretty agressive sized scrapes. Only to be followed and hit by a monster. I watched one small 6 pointer id say 6inch inside spread make a scrape 3 feet in diameter this year. I was very impressed how large the scrape was and how agressive he was when he made it. He meant business. Shortly after he left a big 11 came in and made it twice as big. I wish I had taken pictures of this scrape it was just massive and hit regularly by the two bucks. I couldnt get a shot at the 11.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watched a spike horn this year make one of the biggest rubs I have ever seen in my life... I would have thought it was a nice mature buck if I had not seen him do it... This wasn't no small spike (I'm positive he was 1 1/2 years) but it was incredible...
Old 12-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

The size of a scrape could and a lot of times
Is a community scrape.

Where you have several bucks and does useing the same scrape.

Kinda like a public rest room where a lot of folks go.

So a big buck could make a small scrape and
A small buck could make a huge scrape.

Remember its not the size of the animal.

Its the size of the spirit in the animal.

JMHO
Old 12-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Many scrapes are used by more than one buck. So, scrape size is not a good indicator of buck size!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Many scrapes are used by more than one buck. So, scrape size is not a good indicator of buck size!
I have never known the answer butI feel the same as JagMag on this one
Old 12-29-2005, 10:56 AM

Used to think so but then about five years ago seen a small six pointer really work over a nice size tree. Now one thing I try to look at is how far off the ground is the scrape? This will not really determine the size of the rack but help more with age. If the scrape is close to the ground its a young one but if its higher off the ground it is an older deer. But again this has nothing to do with size, Also I voted no.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Used to think so but then about five years ago seen a small six pointer really work over a nice size tree. Now one thing I try to look at is how far off the ground is the scrape? This will not really determine the size of the rack but help more with age. If the scrape is close to the ground its a young one but if its higher off the ground it is an older deer. But again this has nothing to do with size, Also I voted no.
You are getting your terms mixed up. A tree that has been worked over by a buck is called a rub. A scrape is where they paw up the dirt and make a bare spot on the ground.
And no the size of a scrape does not correspond to the size of the deer, or the hunter,that made it.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep! You are right! Scrapes and rubs, are two different things.
Large rubs, are usually made by bigger bucks, but many small rubs are made by good bucks too. So, small rubs don't always mean small bucks, but small bucks just can't make big rubs! Kind of like the difference of wittling with a pocket knife, compared to a machette!

Quick Reply: Does BIG scrapes mean BIG buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.