Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Cart?

Old 12-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Cart?

I see in Cabelas and Dicks they have a deer cart with wheels that you tie your deer on and wheel him out of the woods.
Normally I wouldnt even consider this but I had a very hard time getting my deer out of the woods this year.
I'm 43, not in terrible shape but still, if Idied of aheart attack dragging a deer out of the woods my wife would kill me.

Seriously though, are these things any good.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:11 AM

Default RE: Deer Cart?

I think they are great! My dad is in his 50s now and has been using them for some years. Until this year, I always kind of shrugged off his offer to let me use the cart. However, he had a heart attack about a month before the season, so I stayed close enough while hunting that I could help him out if he took a deer. He got a nice 7pt. on opening morning, and after we finished field dressing the deer, he insisted that I use the cart and I agreed since it was his buck. Anyways, I used it, and it's the only way to go. It balances well, can be pushed or pulled over just about anything as the situation dictates, and also solves the problem of loading the deer in the truck. Just put one end on the tailgate and lift the other end. The whole thing will slide right up in the bed.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Okie,
How does it do going up steephills? Is it still easier than dragging the deer?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Danny, i went hunting with my cousin and a few of his freinds this year. I shot a big doe about a mile from the truck. We had radios and i was tracking the deer, my cousin came up to give me a hand. By the time i gutted the deer and got my rope on him and started dragging, Ihad only dragged that deer about 100yrds and stopped 4 times for breaks.my cousins freinds came up with a cart. I laughed at them a little and they asked what was so funny. They put the cart together and i helped get the deer on the cart. after i got the deer on the cart and a mile from the road, i never had to stop for a break once. It was a lot easier than dragging. I would say if your health requires you need to take it easier or you just want to make it easier on yourself then that is the way to go. We all know how we feel when we drag 1 deer out of the woods, well how would you feel if you shot 2 and had to go back in to drag another? The cart i used would easily carry 2 deer at 1 time. I still don't think i will run out and buy me a cart this year, but i do think i will get 1 for next year. In my opinion it will be money well spent. You may not need it every time but i was glad my cousins freinds brung it up to me on this day.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:02 AM

Personally, I think it's much easier than dragging. You can step inside the front end and put the bar across your chest, then just walk. For the downhills just turn the cart around and let gravity do the work. If it's really steep, i suppose you could tie a rope on and pull it up, using a tree as an anchor. It might be hard to balance the cart just right to do that, though. Not many really steep hills in this neck of the woods. Hope that helps!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys,
This is really something I have to consider. Got to be careful playing around with your health. Even though I'm only 43 and I would like to think I'm 18, i'm not.
Any other feedback on these would be helpful
Old 12-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have use one for about 10 years and they are GREAT! Poor boys ATV for getting deer out.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes!!! They're well worth the money. I'm 23 years old and can take the punishment of dragging a few animals a year. But I still use the cart. Just makes everything easier. It's saved me a ton of work, and that is an understatement!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, probably need to let go of the macho pride and get one
Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
BS

ORIGINAL: Steve F.in MD

I have use one for about 10 years and they are GREAT! Poor boys ATV for getting deer out.
Now this is a poor mans ATV:

Quick Reply: Deer Cart?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.