Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how old should a child be able to hunt alone >

how old should a child be able to hunt alone

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
12 years old
48.57%
13 years
5.71%
14 years
8.57%
15 years +
37.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

how old should a child be able to hunt alone

Old 12-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default how old should a child be able to hunt alone

In michigan there trying to get you able to hunt with a firearm at age 12I am 15 teen and even think that is wayto young.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hunting age

I took my son to the Hunter Safety Course when he was 12, but 4 months later he turned 13 and I bought him a Winchester "Carbine" .30-30, a Winchester 1300 and a CVA "Eclipise" .50 cal ML. With one condition, he could only use them when he went with me untill he was 16.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I took my son to the Hunter Safety Course when he was 12, but 4 months later he turned 13 and I bought him a Winchester "Carbine" .30-30, a Winchester 1300 and a CVA "Eclipise" .50 cal ML. With one condition, he could only use them when he went with me untill he was 16.
I am with you rebel. Good rule for all the right reasons.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

sounds like a great compromise to me.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i started hunting around the ages of 11 to 12 with my grandpa and uncle. i had to be with them at all times and they gave me a m1 carbine and a mini 14 to hunt with.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:55 PM

I did not/could not vote. I believe there should be no minimum age as long as the hunter is within arms reach of an adult until they are 14. I believe that kids will learn a lot more this way, hands on, rather than in a classroom at hunters safety.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:20 PM

My son is 12 and just started hunting by himself this year. I am always within radio distance of him, usually a few hundred yards. He has not but will be taking the hunters safety course this year although I believe his 1st hand experiences are good. I have watched him without him knowing on every occasion in the woods and am very comforatable how he handles a weapon with respect for himself and others around him. So my vote goes to each child is different, somewhere between 12 and 15, depending on the circumstances.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maturity is a better ruler than age in determining whether a young person is "ready" to hunt. Both my sons killed their first deer at 6, but my youngest actually started hunting with me at 5 and was "ready" at that age. My youngest isobsessive about anything hunting or shooting. My oldest, however, actually was probably not ready at 6, but I wanted him to hunt and made it easy for him to be successful. He has since lost interest in hunting, and I blame myself for pushing him too soon. Hind sight 20/20.

Old 12-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

I think 12 with a responsible adult relative is fine. This gives fathers the chance to take their sons hunting before the sons get interested in cars, women, alcohol and think they know everything. By yourself, I'd have to say 18. That's the state law in CA for being able to have a rifle or shotgun (not pistols) by yourself.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are trying to get the age limit down to 8 in wis. I pray to god that this doesnt happen. Right now its 12.

Quick Reply: how old should a child be able to hunt alone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.