Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the longest shot you would take? >

What is the longest shot you would take?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
0-100 yards
12.05%
100-200 yards
36.14%
200-300 yards
21.69%
300-400 yards
18.07%
400-500 yards
6.02%
500+ yards
6.02%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

What is the longest shot you would take?

Old 12-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the longest shot you would take?

Most of my shots are inside a 100 yards. But theres a field I hunt where shots between 300 and 350 are fairly common. With my trusty homemade shooting stick that I use those shots have never been a problem. The 270 handles them with ease. Although i would NEVER NEVER try these shots without a completely solid rest.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:35 PM

the shorter the better,the areas i hunt you wont even have a shot,over 250yards just because the lay of the land, plus there might be to much room for error
Old 12-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

the areas i hunt you wont even have a shot,over 250yards just because the lay of the land
The lay of the land certainly does influence shot distances.I often hunt over large open fields where a buck may walk into a field 400 yards away just minutes before dark.With no chance of a stalk the options are to shoot or watch the deer walk away or disappear in the darkness.I hunt during the later part of therut where the bucks do not follow set patterns and you often only see them once in a week of hunting.As such ,we equip ourselves with laser rangefinders,and very accurate long range rifles and cartridges,and put in long hours of practise at the shooting range to best takeadvantage of our hunting conditions.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

It depends on what I was using and what the deer was doing. With a bow 50 yds is my limit on standing deer. 40 on a walking deer. With a rifle I wood say I feel good out to 300 with a stationary or walking deer If the deer is running, itsless than 50 yds. All thisrelies on me having a clear shot. Shooting through brush is a big mistake IMHO.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

the areas i hunt don't allow for long shots...my average is anywhere between 25-50yds. but if i was somewhere where the oppurtunity presented its self i would take a longer shot...as long as my gun is capable and accurate.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:29 PM

i keep all my bow shots inside of 40 yards and all my rifle shots inside 200
Old 12-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Dominant Buck

My longest shot was 220 at a caribou and I got him. I wouldn't shoot at a deer past 200 because I am not a great shot and I know it
Old 12-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the deer I've taken have been less than 100 yds. I have taken several that were fromm 300 to 350 (Measured with a range finder), though. I think it depends on the lay of the land and how good of a rest you have.I use to hunt West Virginia. There, you can shoot from one hill side to the other. Its hard to explain , unless you've hunted WV you'd understand. Anyhow! I also use a camera tripod with a V from a Shootin Stick attached to the top of it. With this rig and a sitting position with both elbows on my knees, I can hold very steady. When shooting at deer on the other hillside I usually have several minutes to wait for a good shot.

I also like getting close to hunt as some of you have mentioned, but I do that with a bow. After archery season, I have to admit, I like long range hunting. ( Sniper style)

A few times I'd have a buddy sitting with me after he tagged out earlier in the mourning. When I'd see a deer They'd say " Are you really going to shoot that far?" I'd say " Yeah" They would be surprised when the deer would drop. I'd tell them that it really isn't that hard with a good rest and sighting in 2 inches high at 100.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like it up close and personal. My longest kill was in Africa at about 175 yards on a Hartebeest. Also 147 on a Kudu Bull. All the deer I have shot have been under 100 yards! For me I don't see the need to shoot at a deer so far away, but to each his own! Like I said, up close and personal, I like it when my blood gets a pupmin!
Old 12-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

land terrain does play a big factor in your shot distances. i like to hunt area's where i can maximize distance (transition lines from swamp to palmetto flats and edges of dried up lakes and ponds for example). i also hunt thick area's (inside swamps) where your maximum line of sight is under 50 yards. for my "open" area's i use my wby .300 mag and when i'm in thick swamps i use my mossberg 835 ulti-mag 12 ga. /w 3 1/2" double ought buckshot.

Quick Reply: What is the longest shot you would take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.