Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area? >

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
46.01%
No
53.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:09 AM
Spike

In my home state baiting is illegal and will likely (thankfully) stay that way. To me, baiting is just a shortcut for those unwilling to invest the time and effort to learn how to hunt and to go scout. Just another symptom of our immediate gratification-besotted society.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

I voted the wrong way. Meant to say no...Here in Florida, the woods are so thick you can't really hunt thru them like you can in the N.E. So you clear a place and plant some food. Believe me, it sure doesn't mean that you sit there & shoot a deer. It just doesn't happen that way.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why on Earth do people bring up four year old threads?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I think that anywhere that there's an over population of deer, baiting should be allowed. That being said, hunting over a feeder or pile should be worded as shooting over a pile. I shot a doe over a pile of corn for the first time this year. It was strictly because the farmer wanted more deer out of there than I had time to hunt. It didn't feel much like hunting. IMO
Old 03-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs down

To me, hunting baited deer is like shooting fish in a barrel. When you have a source of food, something they genuinly need to survive, and you decide to put hunt over that, after YOU have supplied that food....to me that's not hunting thats shooting I have NO PROBLEM with hunting near/around/on food plots of things like BioLogic. What I am talking about is putting out a corn feeder and putting a stand ten yards from it, or putting a pile of acorns on the ground twenty yards from your stand and shooting them when they come in to feed. If you want to put mineral blocks out in the summer, that's fine, but they should be gone a month before any season starts so that they know and don't have that knowledge that it's still there.
To me, there is also another element to this beast: the matter of ethics. Remember back to the last deer you shot.....Remember the excitement at knowing that it had been man vs. animal and you had figured out their NATURAL patterns and had been able to get one? I don't think that same feeling can be achieved when you are simply shooting them and you KNOW they will come in.....
And maybe it's just my views on things.... I am a very ethical hunter and I hate when I see corn feeders in the middle of the woods. If you want to get a deer, scout, put out trail cameras and take walks in the area you intend to hunt before season starts like everyone else. Remember, THIS IS WHY IT'S CALLED "HUNTING" NOT "SHOOTING" OR "MINDLESS KILLING"
Thank you for hearing out my rant......

BigBuck95

Last edited by BigBuck95; 03-25-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Campo
I second this!
I am third for this motion!!!!! KEEP NY ETHICAL
Old 03-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Ya i say that baiting is just not hunting its just playing off of a animals insticts and using it for your benifit when you bait you are not exibiting any skill ur just playing a winning game!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
Why on Earth do people bring up four year old threads?

Someone's got to beat that dead horse!

I've shot alot of bucks that had a mouthful of corn and will do the same this year. Long live master baiters LOL
Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
Ya i say that baiting is just not hunting its just playing off of a animals insticts and using it for your benifit when you bait you are not exibiting any skill ur just playing a winning game!
Just curious... Do you ever use Tink's 69, or rattling antlers, or grunt calls? How is that not "playing off of an animal's instincts and using it for your benefit"?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Yah-Daddy, if you use any scent or call, you are likened to a deer feeder. Just curious, how did the native Americans survive with out Tinks? The only pure way of hunting is to wack'em in the head with a club or use a sharp stick.

Quick Reply: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.