Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area? >

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
46.01%
No
53.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Old 03-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Florida

Baiting or Luring: Taking game on lands or waters upon which corn, wheat, grain, food or other substances have been deposited by means other than normal agricultural harvesting or planting is prohibited, except as noted below. In addition to normal agricultural harvesting or planting, mourning and whitewinged doves may be hunted over agricultural crops that have been harvested or manipulated and over natural vegetation that has been manipulated.

• Resident game, other than turkeys, may be hunted in proximity of yearround game-feeding stations, provided that feeding stations were established at least six months prior to taking resident game.
• Turkeys may not be taken by baiting or over baited areas; or when the hunter is within 100 yards of a game-feeding station.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is not intended as a reply to anyone in particular.I just love some of the Wholier than Thou Attitudes on this subject.

Baiting in my state is legal.
I've baited on a selective basis for the last 6-7yrs out of my 35+ yrs of deer hunting.All or most of my hunting over the years has been on private land or WMA's with corn or bean crops,maybe apples(no baiting). You can bet your pick up truck I hunted over AG crops and taken my fair share of deer by that method.

Any dead head who does some pre season scouting can set up on lanes or field edge around AG crops and in most cases whack as many deer as he/she desires.

So - Is this fair or the same as "Baiting" with a feeder,bags of corn,apples?

Food plots planted for the primary purpose of attracting game to harvest during the season whether it be deer,doves,geese,ducks,turkey,rabbits etc...I've taken my fair share of deer over and around clover plots.

Is this Baiting? Is it fair?

How about hunting around apple trees or oaks after a bumper mast crop.

I crush apples on my shoe soles,rub on clothing before walking to stand.Rub apples on tree bark.

I've had deer walk up to stand scenting apple.Is that fair - or is that baiting?

How about mineral blocks.

Baiting does not need to be about dumping bags of corn 25 yrds from stand - OR - stealing your neighboring farms Deer.I/we use corn,apples to "Move Deer" thru our farm via natural deer runs.We currently do not have any food plots or AG crops that attract deer.All our neigbors do!

When we(this year we hope) do I would be more than happy to whack deer around or over a food plot!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love it when anyone who disagrees with something because of their own personal feelings of what hunting should be , is dubbed "wholier than thou".
Old 03-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have absolutely Noooo problem with anybody disagreeing with baiting.
I can take it or leave it and lose no sleep over anybody that disagrees.
The Wholier than Thou attitude is not based on the Pro/Con opinions but HOW it is addressed to fellow hunters. Review 35 pages and some of the scathing remarks.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

bait like a pile of apples or a bucket full of feed should be a no no. but hunting over a clover field or natural/large feeding site should be a yes.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:33 AM

i say baiting should be legal in all areas and leave it up to the individual to bait or not. but i also wonder if people who are so strongly against baiting use any doe in heat or dominant buck scents. you see these are baits. they just apeal to a differant part of the body not the stomach. also planted food sources just for hunting over them is baiting any way you look at it. a lot of people use products that inhance the chance of getting a deer but then complain about the next guy doing the same type of thing with some differances. unless you hunt from the ground or climb a tree with no assistance,make your own bow and arrows,use no optics,use no scents or scent elimination products, wear no comercialy baught camo,use no atv's, basicly its just you a stick and a string hunting . unless you refrain from using any advantage . how can we gripe about the next guys methods as long as they are legal. if its legal in your area and you want to bait i think you should. if its not legal and you want to bait get a petition started to change the laws. this reminds me of a piece of scripture.
LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE. it seems that most of the people who are against baiting and voice it loudly believe they are correct but if they step back and look at themselves they will see they are using some sort of bait. whether it be doe urine or some smelly product like vanila or some fruity extract. but since its not food they dont see anything wrong with it. i say bait is bait. whether it apeals to a deers stomach or his reproductive instincts. i hear people say fear of disease. texas baits more than any other state and we dont have diseased deer in any area that i am aware of. if we do its isolated cases and we never see epidemics. but i do hear of disease in states that have no baiting. no baiting seems a flawed logic on the disease issue.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

but i also wonder if people who are so strongly against baiting use any doe in heat or dominant buck scents. you see these are baits. they just apeal to a differant part of the body not the stomach.
Even though this was covered back in chapter 1 I'll give you something to think about.

If the success ratio of using scent attractants was anywhere near the success ratio of baiting we wouldn't be having this conversation. In fact , even coming up witha success ratio of using scent attractants would hardly be scientifically provable.
I'd say the proof's in the pudding when it comes to a success ratio on baiting. The deer walk to bait pile and proceed to enduldge.

how can we gripe about the next guys methods as long as they are legal.
It's pretty easy , especially when "the next guys method" has a negative impact on the deer herd and hunting in general.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:30 PM

we got to many hunters

Old 03-14-2006, 10:19 PM

Bowfanatic,
If you're looking at the success rates of products or feed in hunting, your arguement is not stable at all. Deer are individuals, no deer is like the next. A scent or lure's success rate on one deer is going to be very different than anothers. Location also affects success rates. A deer in Texas will react to products differently than a deer in Wisconsin, and so on. With this theory based, the use of a scent in a certain area, under certain deer, could just as easily outrule the effectiveness of a feeder. If you'll notice, you don't see the really big bucks at feeders. These are generally more attractive for does and yearlings, but again, it depends on the individuality of the deer. Many things affect the way a deer moves other than feeders. The sound you make, nearby traffic, farmers...they all affect a deer's movements. Feeders aren't as sound as you would think.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stillhunt, let this thread die, everyone has their own opinion on the baiting scandal all across the globe, theres nothing anyone will or can do to change it. Baiting is a privledge not a right. I bait by choice, not because I have to. I bait for many reasons. The main factor is to see the deer whether they be nubbins, does, or 150 class bucks, makes no difference to me. Thoes of us who bait arent shooting everything that steps onto a bait pile. I have let bucks ranging from 130-170 class walk as im sure many others have. Baiting is a great MANAGEMENT tool and should be used, but should be used wisely as to not let the deer become noctornal. Stillhunt youre trying to make yourself sound like an expert game management member however you are making yourself sound like an idiot and have since the start of this never ending thread. (Note thebaited buck).

Quick Reply: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.