Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area? >

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
46.01%
No
53.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Old 01-15-2006, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Sounds like a feeder pen to me!
.... and you are bad mouthing our hunting styles??
Well you'd be wrong as usual. There's not a grain of corn with in 4 or 5 miles of my house and not a fence that can even keep a cow in for at least a couple miles.
Yeah, you are right Jack! I'm probably wrong about you! But, I guess that makes us both wrong! You know nothing about me, and I know nothing about you!

If it sounds like a feeder pen to you, that sounds a lot like a confirmation of pretty much what we've been saying about you guys baiting and hunting penned up deer.
I've hunted with, and without bait, with good success both ways!
And again, you are wrong! I hunt East Texas. The deer density, and certainly, the size here, doesn't match up to what you've got! (be thankful!)No crops, and thick pine plantations! If you can kill 'em like you say, "from your porch," its a lot easier than my hunting! I'm really not trying to say anything negative about your hunting ability, but you've certainly questioned, and insulted mine!

Which is it, an insult or nothing like that?
Not insulting your ability, or methods! You are the one with plenty of insults though! Like, "can't shoot straight," andtobbacco spitters!"
Again, you don't know me, I don't know you! So, maybe we can leave the insults out, and respect each other as deer loving, legal hunters!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks bud. We all know that baiting is one of the most contreversial issues when it comes to hunting. Baiting isnt a law, or a right, its a priviledge and a decission. I also live in a state that allows baiting in 90% of the state. This doesnt mean I have to or will, just means I have the priviledge to do so if Id like to. I admit that I do on occasion place a bit of corn out if the season is looking grim. I mostly stay under the 2 gallon limit when placing out deer pellets or corn or apples. When I place out bait, I place it out as a treat. Im not the kind of baiter that has to have it on stand all the time and its NEVER in a pile, Its scattered around so the deer have to find it. Just like acorns or other food sources. Last year I think I used maybe 2-3 coffee cans full of corn during the 3-4 months of bow season. Like I mentioned earleir, I use it as a treat. I guess im not a cheater in a treater. lol.

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

To me it sounds like the ones that arent allowed to bait are just jealous for those who can and do bait. Remember using bait is no different than using scents and all that other crap that we pay way too much money for.
WBH,

First let me say that you make some good points, and I that I thank you for handling the subject in a mature manner, others would do well to learn from your demeanor.

Second, for the sake of understanding, I wanted to respond to your statements above.

I live in a state where baiting is currently allowed. However I do notbait, nor I am currently interested in it.

Concerning your comparison of baiting to scents I have already adresses this issue in another forum.

I will include myoriginal post in response to your statement. However I do not want this thread to get side tracked by this topic,(comparing baiting to using scents), so I will include a link to the original post concerning that topic. I invite you and others to post your response on that thread in an attempt to keep this thread on topic.

Here is the link..
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1369442

[blockquote]quote:

I don't find baiting any different than using scents[/blockquote]
I have read this response all too many times on numerous forums in defense of baiting. (In reality it is not a defense for baiting,only a deflection away from the original argument in an attempt todeny any criticism specifically aimed at baiting,(however that is another discussion altogether))

I decided that the subject is worthy of an honest debate so I have written my thoughts below. I am certain others will disagree and I would like to hearyour points of view on this issue.

All I askis thatmembers treatnot only the subject matter, but also other members with reasonable respect concerning eachindividual’s views.

JC

“I don't find baiting any different than using scents”

In my opinion this response shows a clear failure to understand simple biology....baiting results in positive reinforcement of a deer’s activity...every time the deer comes to the bait pile it is rewarded for its efforts by receiving an easy meal. Most importantlythe deercan remember the exact location of the bait site and comes to expect a reward (bait) every time it visits that location. This results in a distinct pattern of movement that brings the deer to an exact location on a regular basis.

The use of scents by a hunter on the other hand has very little in common with baiting. First, if a deer were to actually find a hunters "scents" in the woodsthen spends time looking for the sourceof the scent, it will find nothing, or worse, it will find a hunter or human scent(both of which will trigger a fight or flight response). This is obviously a negative outcome for the deer and results in negative reinforcement for its action. In essence the deer realizes it is spending energy for nothing, and therefore will quickly become less likely to do it again.

Even if you don't want to accept that fact in itself...there still remains a much larger point that further displays difference between scents and baiting. It has to do with location and timing. A scent only lasts a very short period of time. Most importantly, a hunter has to be at the exact location of the scent the first time it is used in order to take full advantage of its attractiveness to deer, (or at leastthe firstfew times it is used, before the concept of negativereinforcement teaches the deer that the scent is not worth following).

This means that the hunter has a very short window of time to ensure that his scent is placed in the proper location to attract exactly the kind of deer he/she wants to harvest on that particular hunt.Every time the hunter uses this strategy in the same location it will become less and less successful (unlike bait that attracts more deer the longer it is left in the woods). Not only will the hunter be leaving his own scent in the area after each hunt, but any deer that comes by the area and smells the "attractant" after the hunter has already left will realize that it is not real, further helping to negatively reinforce its effectiveness on the local deer population.

The reality of these facts means one thing....the hunter that uses scents needs to be very knowledgeable not only about the natural locations of deer...but also of the timing of the natural movements of deer in order to capitalize on the primary effectiveness of scents,(which occursduringthe first few times the scent is used).

In essence, the hunter that uses scents is hunting a deer that is in a natural pattern up until the exact moment the deer finds the hunters attractant. Unlike baiting where the deer are patterned to within a few feetofan artificial food source days or weeks ahead of time,this requires all of the same skillsthata "regular" hunter would require right up to the point that the deer finds the attractant.

These points make the comparison of using scents, to the use of bait, a long shot at best. Of course there will be some similarities, after all it is all hunting, and the goal is virtually always to harvest a deer. However the differences should be obvious enough to the educated observer to see that the comparisons are at most only minor similarities.

P.S. I am sure there will be those that ask so I will respond now. I have never used any form of scents until this year. This year I did try some estrous doe urine however it appeared that it had zero effect on my hunting. I did take a buck while I had scent out. However,I shot thebuck while it wasfeeding naturally on acorns with 3 does and a button buck upwind of my location and had given no signs of being aware of the scents. I would not consider myself a proponent of its use for anyone but the more advanced hunters that have already thoroughly learned most aspects of succesful hunting without scents.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr
When I place out bait, I place it out as a treat. Im not the kind of baiter that has to have it on stand all the time and its NEVER in a pile, Its scattered around so the deer have to find it. Just like acorns or other food sources. Last year I think I used maybe 2-3 coffee cans full of corn during the 3-4 months of bow season. Like I mentioned earleir, I use it as a treat. I guess im not a cheater in a treater.
Wis Bow Huntr, We are probably wasting time on this debate! No ones minds will be changed by it! I would not say the anti-baiters are jeleous, but they are closed minded to something many of them probably don't fully understand!
Like I've said before,
1.I don't use bait "piles," and don't know of others that pile bait up either!
2. Bait is not a "majic magnet!"
Maybe where they are, the deer would be hungry enough to "run to it," but certainly not here! They do not go out of their way to come to a little corn!

A lot of my baiting is like WBH says, a little corn spread out over a trail, that is a narrow lane, where I want them to stop, for a good shot! Again, this is WHERE THEY ARE ALREADY TRAVELING, THEY ARE NOT GOING OUT OF THEIR WAY TO GET TO THE BAIT!
I know that this will probably fall on deaf ears, so its the last I'll post about it!
LEGAL=CHOICE, ILLEGAL= NO CHOICE!

Old 01-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Not insulting your ability, or methods! You are the one with plenty of insults though! Like, "can't shoot straight," andtobbacco spitters!"
Again, you don't know me, I don't know you! So, maybe we can leave the insults out, and respect each other as deer loving, legal hunters!
Huh?
You mean those comments apply to you?
Huh, who would have known?
I was just talking in general about people who's idea of hunting skills revolves around a scoop shovel and a pile of corn, maybe digging post holes for the "highly skilled".
Old 01-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

peckerhead alert!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

See, no fence, no bait pile practicly just bare dirt here.

Why in the world would any Hoosier drive all the way to Texas just to shoot their penned up, dumb, hand fed scrawny zoo deer?

Here's the back yard for when I feel the need for adventure.

If I was going to drive any where it would be right here but it's just about as quick to walk.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

peckerhead alert!
LOL, everyone in the country already knows you can HEAR a Texan coming about a mile before you SEE any thing.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

Huh?
You mean those comments apply to you?
Huh, who would have known?
I was just talking in general about people who's idea of hunting skills revolves around a scoop shovel and a pile of corn, maybe digging post holes for the "highly skilled".
Naw, Jack! You've been pretty specific in your Texas insults!
But, since you mention it, no, thosecomments don't apply to me!
I don't hunt over a "pile" of bait, don't chaw toe-backy, and I can shoot fairly straight! (wish you could come target shooting with me!)
And I guess most Texas jobs don't require the skills of a post hole digger! We just put people on the moon, make the gasoline that you drink, and most of the chemicals that make your simple life, easier!
In fact, the keyboard you are typing on, and the monitor you are looking at, probably have some of our chemicals in them! I'd chunk em' if I were you!
Well, I guess there are plenty of Texas insults you can be cute with! Texas is a pretty big state! I don't know too many Indiana insults! Hmmm., maybe thats because we don't even know that you exist! What ya got there?Kern farmers, and telemarketers!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jack, in your own words, you said you could lay down all those deer, without laying your Cheerio's down! Well, doesn't sound like you need scouting skills, tracking skills, or shooting skills to do that!

We've got 50,000 acre "feeder pens," that are harder to hunt than that!
You are blessed with good deer, and plenty of them, count your blessings, instead of thumping your chest!

In fact, I don't even hunt feeder pens! I hunt some of East Texas' thickest stuff, that has some of the lowest deer densitys in Texas!
Come on down and show us Texans your skill! You'd be lucky to come out with a yearling doe for your effort! No, on second thought, since you don't have to get off the porch up there, you probably wouldn't find your way out of the woods at all!

BTW, I think someone else on another thread p'd in your Cherrios!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:53 PM

JagMagMan!! I'm a Texan too and I thought I'd help with the cause! (I hope you know your Texas history, because most of these guys won't get it!)

By the way, that would be a DEER FEEDER. That's right, a LEGAL means of hunting here in Texas. Of course, you've got to make it easy for us, we aren't very smart...but hey, if this flag worked against the Mexicans, it might as well work today! COME AND TAKE IT!

Quick Reply: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.