Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 sticky situation (check all that apply) >

sticky situation (check all that apply)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
use a firearm and put the deer down
23.01%
use a knife and put the deer down
25.66%
call the authorities
19.47%
call game warden
12.39%
run over deer again (yeooow)
2.65%
do nothing
0.88%
try to get a date with the women
15.93%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

sticky situation (check all that apply)

Old 12-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sticky situation (check all that apply)

I would take care of business with a knife, drag the animal to the side and ask her if she was ok and go on my way.

We had a situation quite a few years back where as some fellow hit 6 cows on the road as we were going deer hunting. My uncle ended up shooting all 6 cows and the officer had thanked us for it. He said he would have had to write a report with lots of paper work and said this was the simplest way.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would expalin to the lady what I was about to do (not in detail), and try to get her to understand that it would be the best thing for the already injured animal and then take care of it as efficiently as possible with whatever possible. If for some ungodly reason the lady objected to what I was about to do--to dam bad--I'll have self apponted operational command of the scene as far as saving any animal from further misery--until someone with a badge shows up to also do that very thing

My Dad and I were traveling a back road coming back from building a tree stand on our property and a small deer (obviously hit) was struggling bad in the middle of the road. The car that hit him must have just driven away (no where to be seen). I pulled overand had to finish him with a 4lb hammer I was using earlier to drive spikes in a tree (had nothing else). A couple cars passed with the people craning their necks--Hey, I had to do it. I'm sure most would have understood.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:23 PM

When I did it the lady wanted me to do it, and I also explained what I was going to do and that it take a few minutes for the deer to die. She didn't mind. I like to do it thru the lungs because there is less blood that way.

I don't think I would shoot one, you might get in trouble for that around here. I might if there was a cop there and he told me I could though.

Never thought about a large hammer, it's pretty effective on livestock, why not a deer?

Paul
Old 12-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Had this happen 3 times,all 3 times I took care of it.1st timewas a couple years ago in May and the woman was crying and begging me to put the deer down I explained it was illegal but after watching the deer suffer and her telling me that her pastor was coming back with a .22 I dispatched the deer with my 7mm08 pistol.Second time was also a couple years back in November and anther women was frantic and crying watching the deer fail in pain the park warden was on sight and the police were called but 45 min. had elaped,I went home 1 mile away and retreived my bow and dipatched the deer,I told the park warden that if need be I had a tag for that area.He said go ahead and shortly after the police arrived,the park warden told me to just leave and say nothing to the police and thanked me.There was a couple young men that wanted the deer so the police let them take it,A shame cause it was a 2 1/2 year old 10 point.3rd insident was this past Oct coming home from hunting saw a deer 10 feet off the road back end all busted up,I called the police and waited,and waited,and then 35 min. later a women in a mini van pulled up and said she hit the deer and thought it was alright I told her politely it wasn't and needed to be put down and I had called the police.She said she was at the next corner with them filling out an accident report and they left and never even came to check.I waited another 20 min. and could no longer take the deer flailing and panting and drooling at the mouth.When traffic was clear in both directions I got my bow and dipatched the deer,it was dead in 5 sec.I drove past the next AM and the deer was still laying there!What was stated earlier is true the police don't wan't to fire their service revolver because of all the paper work.Some times ethics and humane treatment of animals doesn't always jive with the law.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:57 PM

I'd get the date
Old 12-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Clipping across a cut cornfield one night on snowmobiles, the guy 2 sleds in front of me nailed a doe.Both rear legs broken.I had my brother stand on the front legs while I cut her throat with my pocket knife.
Then we called the law.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

This happened to me last year.The 3 foot pry bar in my truck got the job done fast.I'm not waiting for someone to show up.don't let it suffer ,end it quick