Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

stew meat..worth the work?

Old 12-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: stew meat..worth the work?

So what's a good stew recipe? Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 12-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

I butcher my own deer. I debone everything I can. I then remove all fat, sinew and blue membrain from the meat. The prime cuts (hams and loins) go into roasts.If I want steaks I cut them from a roast later.The shoulders, neck and trimmings go into burger to be made into sausage or jerky. I'm not too fond of stew. As far as sausage if you use well trimmed meat it turns out great. If you use fatty scrap it will turn out crappy. take your time do it right there are no short cuts.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good stew is potatoes, carrots, a can or two, of Rotel Tomatoes, onion and bell pepper! Slow cooking is best, gets it to falling off the bone! YUM!!
Old 12-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use every thing. All meat is cut off the bones,the neck is either a roast or ground, Just last night I took the neckbones(I cut the neck into chunks after removing the meat) and simmered with a leg of lamb bone to make scotch broth, the meat that's left on the bones are picked off and added to the broth. Tender as all hell and you get a fair amount, deffinately woth it. Even the shanks get ground after the tendons and silver skin is removed. Nothing wasted on my deer, wheather it's the first or last of the season. You never know ,the first could be the last.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will go to great lengths to get all the meat off of an animal, except for the upper parts of the neck. This includes the ribs, and all the meat on the lower legs. State law also says I have to, if not, its wanton waste of game. Of course I can only get one deer a year, and only if I get a tag, so I make sure every piece of meat comes off. If you are skimping on not cutting all the meat off of a deer, then that means you shouldn't be shooting any more deer. Fill your freezer up and eat all that is edible. I even save the heart and liver. If I don't eat it, I can find someone that will.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:16 PM

ughh i just got back from grindin all my dear meat..got steaks, roasts, sausage, and a heck of alota hamburger..i use everything..dont let that deer die in vain!
Old 12-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

I tend to take more stew meatearly in the season thinking I might not get out. IfI am lucky later in the season, I might not work as hard on the stew meat, but am back fillingthat "laziness" with learningand experimentingwithtanning hides. I hate to see deer meat and hide go to waste. --- My wife calls me cheap, I say frugal!
Old 12-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

There is some good meat by the spine i call it prime rid And you. got to love those round steaks.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

i try to get all the meat i can get off of my critters and then the carcass goes to the tiger rescue across the street.