Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Im am sick SICK SICK !

Old 12-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Im am sick SICK SICK !

I know how you feel. I took a guy to my property during rifle season and told him over and over not to shoot any buck with less than 6 points. We haven't done so in over 5 years now and are firm on thatrule. He let does and a 4 pointer walk in the morning, and ended up shooting a spike at around 1:00 that he knew was a non-shooter buck. Here I am trying to get the neighbors on board with letting small bucks go, and he shoots a freaking spike! Disregarding rules is no less thana slap in the face to the person who lets them hunt. He won't be invited back!
Old 12-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always seem to get in on these post's late in the game! I am just amazed at the amount of "perfect individuals that exist in this forum".Some of these same individuals who have come down so hard on DD for his response,seemingly have no problem excusing someone because they shot something because they were inexperienced and excited.
To come to a conclusion on these circumstances it is necessary to have some element of trust in the person who is describing the situation,DD gets the benefit of the doubt from me,I have never seen anything written from him that would lead me to think otherwise.
If it was described to someone what they should not shoot as someone else's guest and they do not comply with that the host has cause to be upset.(PLease spare me the he couldn't control himself argument) If he can't he shouldn't have a rifle in his hands.For me the whole deal would have hinged on the guest's response after every thing was concluded.Was he apologetic,was he sorry he didn't honor his host's wishes? If he showed that type of behavior than there would have been a future with him continuing to hunt with me,if he didn't there wouldn't be.
To suggest someone is a poacher for putting a sufferring animal out of their misery is laughable,I would suggest those who are of that opinion reexamine their thinking. There would have been ways to terminate that animals life without putting anyone or any thing else in harms way.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gents,

A few final comments. First, someone (Browning?) made a comment about not discussing certain things like DD's situation. Sorry, but hunting is not a Disney Film. **** happens and I think that it is important to discuss it, warts and all. ALL viewpoints are important, even if more than a few of them have you setting there rolling your eyes.If you want sanitized discussion, go read Field and Stream.

As for my comments about lack of experience,it evidentally struck a nerve with NY. First, your comments about nightcrawler hunting indicated a lack of knowledge about the outdoors in general. Second, based on DD;s description (go back and re-read it before commenting, please), he fired at the wounded deer on fairly level ground at a slightly downward angle.
Unless he indicates otherwise, I think that it was a safe shot that would not endanger a worm hunter or homeless person (its Tennessee, not Central Park, by the way) at the bottom of a "gulley." Sorry, but you may have somedeer hunting experience, but your commentsraise enough red flags to makesome of us think that you experience has been limited to shooting at deer with a paintball gun in thesuburbs. But feel free to offer further commentary. I am waiting to see if you can top the nightcrawler/homeless personstatement....

I wish you all happy holidays, I'm off to Illinois for Christmas....
Old 12-23-2005, 04:11 PM

I've poached before... never shot anything myself while doing, but I had helpeda couple of peoplespot deer at night, with a spotlight, while on a county road, helped 'em clean it and... it wasn't right, I admit, and I haven't done it since and do not plan on ever doing it again, it was truely wrong, but I was young, wait, still am, I was YOUNGER... I had uncles who hunted, my grandfather hunted, by my father left when I was 1, so I never had him to take me hunting and show me how it's done... my step-father doesn't hunt, so I never had him... So yah, I made some stupid decisions, these are things I will never do again... they were very dangerous and very unethical...

Now, as a born again ethical hunter I believe itillegal, but ethicalto shoot the deer at night with the light on it... Would I have done it? In a heart-beat... And having done the 'other' poaching, I'd say it would even come close to comparing...

You gotta ask yourself "What would I want? A bullet in the head or a pack of coyotes to come and eat me alive?"... What comes to mind? "Do unto others as you would have them to unto you..."

Yes, there are dangers in people being behind this, but I'm pretty sure they were aware of their surroundings and they got the job done, and if it makes you feel better, if this ever happens to me I'll go ask the deer if we can take a time-out so I can check for people picking worms...

However, did you ever think that it could have been posted property?

If a homeless guy is tresspassing on property I am being allowed to hunt on (or that is my own), I shouldn't have to look for him... But if I accidently wound him, and he looks like he will die and suffer a slow and painful death I'll put the light on him and shoot him too...

Happy hunting, and do unto others as you would have them to unto you...

Merry Christmas too, btw...

Old 12-23-2005, 04:16 PM

DD, I've read thoughalmost every ppost just now and I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I recently shot a yearling myself out of mistake so I know what the other guy "should" be thinking. I actually made a post on here on how bad I felt. All the comments told me not to worry about it and enjoy the tender meat.
From you first post, the other guy thought he shot a doe. If the 2 deer were together he thought they were 2 does. Same thing happened to him as me. He didnt have a bigger deer to compare it too and thought it was a bigger doe. I would talk with him and really see what happened. Im sure he has had some time to think about it. You should get a good feel on how he feels about the whole situation.

This guy is in need of some guidance and you have a good chance to give him some so he doesnt find some elsewhere, where that type of hunting is a normal thing. In situations where I feel bad or I've done something wrong I try to learn from my mistake and learn from it. What could you have done different? Maybe you can take him hunting where you can be a guide for him and tell him what he can shot and what he can't. Tell him why you don't want to shoot that deer and point out things that make a deer a shooter. It would be best if you could find a good 2 person blind or stand and sit with him.

I've learned a lot about hunting from my mistakes. I think the only way you will feel better about everything is to talk to him and try to make something good come out of this. Maybe if you do this 1 button bucks life will let 5 or 10 more be passed up for another year.

I will leave my opinion on the whole night issue for another post.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

As for my comments about lack of experience,it evidentally struck a nerve with NY
And it's clear that's what this one is trying to do as well as 99% of your posts so go ahead and continue to antagonize like a 3rd grader.

your comments about nightcrawler hunting indicated a lack of knowledge about the outdoors in general.
It's quite obvious that was a random thought of 1 million different scenarios that it could have been. If you didn't comprehend the underlying point I am concerned about you. However if it gets you through the day then I'm happy for you. If you base my knowledge of the outdoors on that statement you have some serious issues.

Second, based on DD;s description (go back and re-read it before commenting, please), he fired at the wounded deer on fairly level ground at a slightly downward angle.
maybe you should re-read it. I read it 10 times and I can't find any mention of fairly level ground or slightly downward angle. In fact the only thing I find in reference to slope is dragging UP a hill and the deer went to the BOTTOM. uhhhhh sounds like shooting down a hill to me. Anyway, that's irrelevant because I don't care if the deer was at ground zero in the middle of a cut cornfieldit was shot with a flashlight in the middle of the night.

Sorry, but you may have somedeer hunting experience, but your commentsraise enough red flags to makesome of us think that you experience has been limited to shooting at deer with a paintball gun in thesuburbs.
Again your knowledge of my hunting skills based on posts on this thread amazes me. I've forgotten more about hunting than you'll ever know junior. You and your "others" that see the redflags condone poaching ............period.Sorry but somehow that doesn't break my heart that I'm not accepted by that bunch of people. Frankly I'd rather not associate with them in any manner.Sugar coat it however you want with putting poor bambi out of it's misery. It's plain and simply poaching.

But feel free to offer further commentary. I am waiting to see if you can top the nightcrawler/homeless personstatement....
And you keep alluding to the nightcrawler thing in a desperate attempt at grasping at straws. I'm sure you see the meaning of that statement as an analogy to a million different scenarios yet you'd like to spin it in your own little warped way and make that statement coorelate (somehow) to me having a lack of knowledge of hunting? It's pretty clear the worm pickers were in reference to not knowing your target and BEYOND! Get out of the tunnell for a moment. Wow dude you are out there.

All this coming from a guy who didn't even know if it was legal or not to shoot a deer after dark. Amazing. Hey bud ........ keep on spotlighting and shooting deer if it makes ya happy. You are the true outdoorsman.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

NY after this LAST post I now know I got you right by the gonadds and I REALLY didnt think you had any ... you LOVE my post weather you admit it or not ...you can not HELP yourself when it comes to me and my post your like a crack addict and just can't stay away even when you say your going to ... and really it shows aflaw in your Saint Hood ..you have no will power ... and for someone that has your lofty ethics I would think it would take some will power to lay off some of the sinful things I have admited to doing which leads me to beleive out in the field your one thing and behind the computer you assume your Saint Hood..yehhhhhh I own you my friend ...hook, line and sinker

dd

Old 12-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

uhhhhhhhhhh yeah .......ok bud. Friday night cocktails??[:-]

Actually you're right DD. In the field I am the biggest unethcial slob hunter there is. Give me a flashlight and a gun and let me have at it!! You are my mentor DD. I really look up to your nightime shooting abilities. You inspire my poaching and ethics (or lack thereof).

Tell me........
how does one practice such a shot?
- Do you have someone hold a flashlight for you or do you ductape it to a tree limb and shine it on your target?

-what about the glowing of the eyes? That has to be tough to simulate. What do you use to put on your target that will reflect the light in such a manner to look like deer eyes? I guess marbles may work.

I'd appreciate any advice on how I can perfect the technique. Afterall you are the living legend.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a law enforcement officer came to the scene of an accident where a motorists had struck a deer in the late evening and the deer was in a ditch on the side of the road not yet dead but immobilized what would they do?
You and I both know what they would do,they would clear everyone safely out of the way and would end it's suffering by shooting it.So please stop with the poacher analogy it's not right or fair.
Law enforcement officers legally have the right to do so.In the same token if you were blood trailing a deer and were deep in a forest or on a mountain,area's where there was clearly no possibility of harming some oneelse, you are telling me upon comingupon the animal in a similar situation you would sit or camp by the animal and let it's suffering be prolonged,or mark it's location to come back to it in the morning?
In the mountains in my home area,in the morning you would be coming back to a coyote feasted upon carcass.
I think if someone were to poll a significant amount of people from all walks of life they would find that very few would agree with allowing the animal to suffer.
I guess you could obey the letter of the law and just smash it's head with a rock,would that be the thing to do?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I'd appreciate any advice on how I can perfect the technique. Afterall you are the living legend.
Ahhhhhh well THATS the ONLY thing you said all night thats the truth and makes sence ... your not as dumb as you act sometimes NY .. but give it up ...most everyone on here recognizes you for what you are ...a pickle shy of a full jar ...and anyways ... YOUR

dd

Quick Reply: Im am sick SICK SICK !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.