Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Doe killing

Old 12-22-2005, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Doe killing

wow thats a waste you really should try and found out who it is and turn them in. what that person should do is just let people come out there and hunt for does only.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:21 AM

That is beyond a waste. I live with my in-laws so we have three of us that hunt. So far we have six deer between the three of us which is plenty of meat. If I were to kill another one I would give it to Hunters for the Hungry. A great program. We have an overpopulation of does as well. I've seen at least 10 does off of just my stand but I wouldn't just shoot them indiscriminately. These people should be reported.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:24 AM

In Iowa a land owner can applyget land owner anterless tags that cost $2 each and/or deprivation(?) tags that I don't think costs the landowner anything. As I said while only hunting 4 days (two weekends) I saw over 400 deer on 10 different properties all within the same county. I have heard from a local land owner that it is next to impossible to get the DNR to issue deprivation tags. Iowa has many many deer in a few counties. The DNRare consentrating their current efforts on the bottom2 teir counties which borders Missouri by making special seasons and extending a few seasons already in place.
For instance during the January special season a hunter can basically use most anything to kill a anterless deer which includes rifles above .24 (usually not allowed in Iowa), shotguns, handguns, bow & muzzleloader. I believesome counties in the central Iowa are being missed even though they havejust as many deer.

In Iowa there is a program called HUSH (Help Us Stop Hunger). A hunter can donate deer to certain lockers (they are listed in the Iowa Hunting Regulations) which process the deer and the meat is given to needy Iowans through the Iowa Food Bank. The lockers are reimbursed through a mandatory $1 addition to every hunting license purchased in Iowa. Most lockers in Iowa only accept boneless deer, but I do not know if that alsoincludes donated deer.

"Any hunter can donate any legally taken deer of any sex from any season. Just take the field-dressed deer to any one of the following lockers. Check www.iowahush.com for updates." (Copied from Iowa Hunting Regulations).
Old 12-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

In some areas farmers can get authorization to kill lots of deer because they are damaging his crops. I don't know the details just that in some places, I believe Tennessee is an example, this can be done.

To get on my soap box for just a moment, the described story illustrates another distortion and unnatural result from the obsession with big antlers. In my opinion hunting is not about taking the biggest rack and competing with others to get the biggest rack or trying to get into the record book. Hunting is about taking game for eating under fair chase conditions, and in this construction does are just as worthy a quarry as bucks. I grant bucks are more cautious and challenging to hunt. I also grant that in some places tradition centers on hunting bucks because formerly, when deer populations were thin, hunting bucks to the exclusion of does better preserved the limited deer resource. Today I think few places need to preserve the limited deer population. But . . . this is my personal opinion and I know many others totally disagree. I support everyone's right to hunt as they prefer, within the constraints of the law, and that includes preferring to hunt bucks with big antlers if that is your thing.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Alsatian,

I like your way of thinking. I would rather have some "melt in your mouth" backstrap off a young doe sizzling on the grill than a big rack haning on the wall. Like you though, I don't have problems with people who want the big buck.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

A place near where I hunt here in Kentucky hired a sharp shooter to shoot the deer. A guy told me he saw all the dead deer in the fields. Seems like a shame to just waste them when someone would love them to eat.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:02 AM

Don't let PETA find out. Holy crap we would have a mess on our hands. 400 deer in 4 days man that just sounds unhealthy. Do you find many that have died from sicknesses. I wish we had a population a little better than we do in northern missouri. That is a lot of deer.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

That kind of "hunter" should be thrown in the slammer with their hunting rights permanently removed. Although they would probably hunt anyway. That is horrible.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: salty

take a picture of the pile of dead deer and mail it to the DNR.
What he said
Old 12-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

thats just frekin rediculous. thats a waist of some of the best meat youll ever eat. i really dont think that thinning out the doe population will make bigger bucks. if they want bigger bucks they need to quite shooting all of the small bucks and spikes and give them a chance to grow.

Quick Reply: Doe killing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.