Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another question on ethics

Old 12-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another question on ethics

I have obviously stepped on some toes (that probably need it), but have also gotten some very good feedback.
The only toes that you've stepped on are yours! You tripped over your own feet!
I am not a land owner, except my own home in the burbs! So I am not exactly trying to defend "my own," in defending land owners!
I've paid good money to hunt for several years now, and before that, I hunted public property!
First, and foremost, you have come very close to suggesting Commie, and welfare-state ideas!
Secondly, you've admittedillegal tactics! Trespassing IS illegal! Hunting while trespassing is poaching! Pure and simple!
Lastly, while I have nothing against the legal use of dogs for hunting, there IS a reason it has been banned in Texas! While the dogs can't read, or determine property lines, their owners damn sure can!
MOST of the dog hunting, was owners dropping the dogs off on one side of someone's property, or leased land, and driving around to the other side to wait for the deer!
Spin it any way you like, but again two wrongs, never have, don't, and never will, make a right!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

In our states. Where I hunt. Hunting with dogs is not allowed. Nor is trespassing In SD you cannot trespass even if the land is not posted. I am a landowner and it is my right to keep people off of my land. Makes no difference why or when. However im SD you can retrieve legally hit animals from privete land without permission IF YOU ARE NOT ARMED. I have always allowed some hunting but its my right to forbid it as well. If you don't pay attention to his signs, you will have to chance the results.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

We were told from ot DNR office that we assume no responsiblity when we allow hunters onto out land however we do assume some responsiblity by letting them use our stands. We just simply made up a form for the parent to sign state that they would not hold us responsible. It was also manditory that the kids and parents if they went along had health insurence. Thankfully we had no problems.Our stands vary in distance depending on the area it is placeed. We have some very thick cedar and spruce swamps that the stands are 200 yards apart and then the stands that are on the ridges are a bit further. But no closer then 200 yards. In those stands that are 200yards you are lucky if you can shoot 50 yards. They are all at least 10 ft off the ground.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Tresspassing is just that trespassing. I dont do it and never will.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:54 AM

I own some land not much but one of the rare large plots left in the area. I wont lie i am new to hunting and dont jack about it.I have folks who like to fish and huntthere without asking permission aka trespassing. In fact they have built docks which I have had to tear down due to being unstable and plain dangerous. I ask permission to hunt others land and get shot down left and right.So i know what many of you are going through.
The old saying "A few bad apples spoiled a bunch" rings true. I dont mind people using my land but keep it the way you found it. The tresspassers described above did not. Ask me and I will let you hunt or fish. Decieve me and you will ruin it for everybody.
I have friends who trespass and hunt knowingly and I tell them its wrong.Its up to us to policeunethical hunters. I know many of you know the same type of people. My suggestion is to stop them to protect the future of hunting.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah he sounds like a jerk maybe. But I can't believe this. It's his land. He bought it and pays taxes. If he wants to post and not hunt it. It's his right. He also asks permission to hunt on other peoples land. Doesn't just walk on, and hunt. About the only thing I see wrong is not letting someone persue wounded deer. I would'nt let someone hunt my land, but if a guy asked to retreive a deer. I would even go out there and help him find it.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's right. The abuse is what ruins it. Thats why I only let family hunt an my land.