Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you a hunter?

Old 12-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are you a hunter?

i agree with you GobblerTX, i was referring to the perfectly "able". you know the one's, the one's that only pull the trigger, the one's that only touch the deer for their photo.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

are you considered a hunter if you pay or are invited to a ranch/deer farm where you dress in camo (i don't know why) and are ******ed to an enclosed condo stand where you sit and watch a food plot with a guide. while watching the food plot and numerous bucks, your "guide" tells you which deer to shoot. this depends on how much you paid for the "hunt". if you paid a bunch for a trophy hunt, you are allowed to pick a trophy deer, if you paid the minimum then you are only allowed a management buck (management buck = buck that is less desirable and needed to be shot off the property so the breeding can be done by the trophy bucks).

i guess they where the camo to "feel" like a hunter because being in the enclosed "condo" stand you are not seen by the deer. there is only a 6 to 8 inch window on all 4 sides to stick the rifle out and shoot. is this really hunting? i mean there is no scouting by the proclaimed hunter, all he does is pay and shoot which deer he basically paid for. if this is the only hunting someone does, are they still considered a hunter? i was just wondering this after watching todays "buckmasters" television show.
I would have to say that you are a deer wall decorator hunter. Some people would love to have a hunting room witha few huge bucks on their walls that they would never have a chance to get in the wild over 20yrs. I could understand it a few times to put some extraordinary deer in your trophy room to balance the room out with the ordinary animals. But,with no scouting on your own and no pressure to the deer to alter their movementand sitting above a feeder,We all could enjoy that kinda target practice once every 10 yrs. And nothing is going to waiste on that deer just thousands of$ of yours.No,your not a hunter,just a wall decorator if thats the only way you kill deer.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: turkey jerky

I would have to say that you are a deer wall decorator hunter. Some people would love to have a hunting room witha few huge bucks on their walls that they would never have a chance to get in the wild over 20yrs. I could understand it a few times to put some extraordinary deer in your trophy room to balance the room out with the ordinary animals. But,with no scouting on your own and no pressure to the deer to alter their movementand sitting above a feeder,We all could enjoy that kinda target practice once every 10 yrs. And nothing is going to waiste on that deer just thousands of$ of yours.No,your not a hunter,just a wall decorator if thats the only way you kill deer.

I couldn't agree more. I would love to take my Dad on a hunting trip once or twice in his life, just to see different parts of the country, and for the experince alone. But as for the people who only know that type of "hunting" really don't know "hunting" in its true form. The scouting and preperation and everything else leading up to the kill, as well as the procesing of the deer after the kill. The whole experience of the "hunt", thats what its all about for me anyway. But yes "To each his own." Not everybody leads there lives the same way so of course no one will "hunt" the same way. What ever makes you happy I guess. For some people a trophy is a 180 class deer shoot over looking a feeder, but for me its being in the woods with my best friend (my Dad) regardless if we tag anything that day or not.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

amen BJR. a trophy to me is the whole experience of the hunt...not just the animal. i have a good time just being in the woods, even if i don't see anything.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i agree with you GobblerTX, i was referring to the perfectly "able". you know the one's, the one's that only pull the trigger, the one's that only touch the deer for their photo.
Nah, I know what you meant, was just chunking my two cents out there...