Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 14 PT. Doe shot in Iowa with Pictures!!!!!!!! >

14 PT. Doe shot in Iowa with Pictures!!!!!!!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

14 PT. Doe shot in Iowa with Pictures!!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2005, 04:48 PM

Default RE: 14 PT. Doe shot in Iowa with Pictures!!!!!!!!

That is a huge doe!
Old 12-27-2005, 02:14 PM

More pictures from the hometown newspaper:

http://www.waukonstandard.com/main.a...SectionID=&S=1

Eric Weymiller downs 13-point doe

by Jennyanne Hager

One’s a doe?!?...
Father and son duo Eric (left) and Steve Weymiller of Harpers Ferry display the nice whitetails they took Dec. 7 on the Dave Weymiller farm in the northern part of Allamakee County. Eric’s deer is actually a remarkable 13-point doe, which may be the largest antlered doe on record. Steve’s 10-point buck is also quite impressive. The two deer were shot from virtually the same spot while the Weymillers were driving deer with several other hunters.

A 13-point buck usually draws some attention among the local deer hunting community, but a 13-point doe, now that gathers quite a bit of recognition.

Rural Harpers Ferry resident Eric Weymiller is sure to get plenty of attention in the near future after he shot an antlered doe on the final day of 2005’s first gun season, Wednesday, Dec. 7.

Weymiller was driving deer in a group of eight hunters that day on the farm of his uncle, Dave Weymiller, in the French Creek/Upper Iowa River area in northern Allamakee County.

“My dad, Steve, and I were walking along with a few other men when some deer started to come back through the drive. A few bigger racked deer were in the group, so I picked the one that offered the best shot. As I went to track my deer, my dad moved into the spot I was in and another nice buck came through and followed the same path,” he said.

The father-son duo later found their kills about 15 yards apart. Steve’s buck had a nice 10-point rack while Eric’s deer turned out to have 15 points, of which 13 can be officially score. At first it looked like a couple of beautiful bucks, but as Weymiller prepared to gut his animal, he was surprised to find out his buck was actually a doe. “The funny thing was that when I went to field dress it, I found it had the wrong plumbing!”

Weymiller’s doe was obviously an anomaly, and wildlife biologist Terry Haindfield of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources was called to take a look at the animal.

Haindfield examined the carcass, and confirmed that the animal was indeed female, and confirmed that the animal was indeed female having mammary glands with four teats and a female vaginal opening..

“I’d say antlered does are uncommon, not rare. There are probably several taken in Iowa each year,” Haindfield noted. While it’s difficult to say exactly how rare antlered does are (studies in several states have estimated the occurrence to be anywhere from one in 3,500 to one in 20,000), Haindfield says Weymiller’s doe is an exception among exceptions.

“Usually, antlered does have small or deformed antlers that are in velvet,” the biologist stated. He explained that while an initial boost of testosterone starts the antler growth, it’s a second testosterone release that causes the velvet to dry and the antler to harden. Weymiller’s animal apparently had that second wave to produce a magnificent rack with big mass and heavy beams.

Haindfield also took the deer’s reproductive tract to check for signs of pregnancy. “I didn’t find any evidence of a fawn in this one,” he noted. “Previous research examinations around the country have shown that does with velvet antlers can often reproduce. Does with polished antlers usually do not reproduce.”

After speaking with the DNR, Weymiller became curious about how his animal compared to others. The 13-point rack had a green score of 154 3/8, although an official score must wait until the rack has dried for 60 days.

The Weymiller family is still researching, but so far they’ve found that the deer could be the biggest antlered doe taken. “There was a doe taken in Ohio in 1990 that scored 152,” Weymiller mentioned.

Haindfield added that it’s difficult to truly know if Weymiller’s doe is a record-breaker. “I don’t know of anyone that actually keeps records on antlered does.”

Even if the doe doesn’t become an official record, it will certainly be one of the county’s most talked about kills.

Haindfield was also glad the doe was reported. “The Weymillers’ interest shows their connections to wildlife, and the importance of deer to them. The fact that they contacted us to investigate and document this shows that they truly care about deer.”

Weymiller took the doe to taxidermist Darwin Kumlin to make a full body mount. Kumlin estimated the deer’s age at 5 1/2 years.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Awesome buck, er I mean doe!!! Could you imagine what it was like as the hunter that harvested her? I am at a loss for words.