HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Unusual animals seen while deer hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/125289-unusual-animals-seen-while-deer-hunting.html)

cyriaque 12-16-2005 02:13 PM

Unusual animals seen while deer hunting

Most of us see squirrels, racoons, and other wildlife while hunting deer. Here in South Louisiana we also see armadillos, black bears and even nutrias and alligators as well as lots of birds.

The most unusual animal I saw was about 2 years ago. It was some type of large cat. Bobcats are not uncommon but this one was longer and larger. I heard stories of wildcats and "panthers" when I was younger but have no idea what this was. I could see it clearly through my scope about 150 yards away.

Your experience?

huntnma 12-16-2005 03:03 PM

RE: Unusual animals seen while deer hunting

i dont think i have really seen anything unusual....i see snakes, lizards, rats racoons,birds of all types,squirrels, otters, alliagators, opposums...i did see a lil pig chasing turkeys, i thought that was a lil unusual......it ws adorable, lol.......

Murph999 12-16-2005 03:13 PM

I saw a red fox which is not abnormal, but I have never seen one before. I also saw a martin. They are these animals that sorta look like ferrets, it was running and rollin in the snow

lswoody 12-16-2005 03:15 PM

The most unusual animal I've ever seen while huntingwas a copule of chickens. I really did see them. I saw something walking my way that was low to the ground. It was white/black color. I first thought coon but thought coons don't have any white and I thought possum. Turned out to be a white chickenand a black chicken. They were walking like they were on a trail, knowing exactly where they were going and how to get there. It was very funny. BTW, a couple of chicken houses are about 1/2 mile away from there. Good huntin, Scott Woody

Kyle Colburn 12-16-2005 03:28 PM

here in northeastern wisconsin, wolves are really rare and last year during bowhunting season i had a wolf come by within 15 feet of my stand and he was chasing 2 coyotes. the wolf had a tan collar around his neck to watch his movement and see where he is going. the dnr said he came from the UP. i have also seen black squirrels huntign this year, never before seen them. and i also saw the pileated woodpecker ( the one woody the woodpecker is suppose to be). i like seeing diferent animals when im in the wood

tschaef 12-16-2005 03:45 PM

I've seen bald eagles, fishers, otters, grey fox, wolves, ptarmagine and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.

Beavers, skunks, coyote and porcupine are almost as common assquirrels where I hunt (baby racoons are pretty cute, theres a few that crawl around a tree near a permanant stand of mine).

Do you guys have fishers down south? They look like anotter thatsready to rip your throat out, big claws and teeth.

Chuck7 12-16-2005 03:46 PM

I saw 2 Woodcocks doing a mating dance in Maryland.

I saw a huge water moccassin come out of the swamp to a dirt road and stare at me and another hunter while we were busy talking. { 5 yds away} Florida

I had a Great Blue Heron pick up my stringer of bass and tried to fly away with it. Florida

I shot a large ground hog out of a tree stretching out over a clover field. About 10 feet above the ground. I thought it was a world record squirrel. I was 14. Maryland

KevinS 12-16-2005 03:52 PM

This year out Muzzeloading. I saw a black cat sized animal run accross the field I was hunting in. It was all alone. I wasn't sure what the heck it was. Then after the evening sit I saw a whole family of them. There must have been 5 or 6 of them come running out of the bush accross the field. Turns out if was a group of fishers.

timbercruiser 12-16-2005 04:45 PM

About 35 years ago while hunting west of Eufaula, Alabama I saw a black panther. Dogs were running it and it ran up to a friend on the next stand and then turned and ran up the small valley in front of me about 15 yards away. They were seen in that area several times over the years.

TimberCreek 12-16-2005 05:05 PM

Don't know what this is, it has a long neck and spots as if it were a dog, but eating corn??