Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Unusual animals seen while deer hunting >

Unusual animals seen while deer hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Unusual animals seen while deer hunting

Old 12-18-2005, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Unusual animals seen while deer hunting

saw a martin up in canada over the summer. he was circling us in our boat because we were in his area he was angry. also had a beaver 1 foot under water about 2 feet from boat staring right at me. he was splashing his tail like crazy for a while
Old 12-18-2005, 01:54 PM

I laid some corn down and went up into tree stand. A squirrel crawled up to the corn and started munching. Then a big fox krept behind it, the squirrel caught him just in time and scurried to a tree. Then right when the squirrel climbed up the tree, a fan-tailed hawk came soaring down and grabbed the squirrel. The hawk took it to the ground and ripped it to bits. I was like "Holy Heck!"
Old 12-18-2005, 03:25 PM

Banjo where is West GA do you live. I'm in Carrollton.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

im not too sure what this is i was hunting in central pennsylvania and my game camera got this photo. i didnt think there were any of them left. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...range/scan.jpg
Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

red fox, groundhog, painted turtle, dog, pileated woodpecker, flicker, turkey vultures (over fifty tried to roost in the same woodlot I was in), one eyed house cat, turkey, black squirrels, fox squirrels, a thatcher and a racoon. that is all I can think of right now. that was from this year.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

This year on opening day of gun season in Wi I had a small Whooping Crane wask right by my stand and walked on the deer i had just shot moments before and walked through the wood and out to the field. Its not strange to see cranes in Wi but strange to see them in the woods. Now i know why the two cranes making all the noise kept fluing in circles above me, they were helping baby get out of the woods.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: nc bearhunter

i don't know if you can call this a unusual animal but once while i a tree stand i saw a guy walk by in full camo even camo face paint with a orange hat and carring a m1 rifle with fixed bayonet this guy was walking slow stopping every 10 ft and looking around and he never saw me or the other guy i was hunting with and we were only about 15 fl high with climbing stands and about 200 ft apart
This made me laugh. ITS MY GRANDPA!

But one of the coolest things was an albino squirrel.

And then one time there was this squirrel in front of me making a whole lot of noise and he was pissing me off. Then a hawk swooped down and got him, i was pretty happy.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

When I saw this dude coming down the trail I high tailed it out of there and never been back!

Old 12-19-2005, 11:43 AM

Windwalker, the same thing happened to my uncle with a Red-Tailed Hawk. My uncle has a full salt and pepper beard, we assumed that the hawk thought that he was a squirrel. Luckily he saw it coming and threw his arm up and it veered off. Can you imagine if it came from your blindside and you ended up with a face full of talons!? Those thing are like razors. Some buddies of mine hit a great horned owl with their truck one night and were going to try and get it to take it to the vet or some type of rescue place. So they threw one of those blue tarps over it, he said it came through that tarp with its talons like a hot knife through butter. Needless to say they left it beside the road and alerted Wildlife officials to its whereabouts and the situation.

There are a few thing that I have seen while deer hunting that I don't see a lot. Bobcats on 2 or 3 occasions, a few minks, an otter once and a covey of quail came through one time with about 20 birds in it. Around this area that is extremely rare these days. A couple of time while squirrel hunting I have seen flying squirrels after pushing over an old tree (when I was younger). Came home and told my dad and he explained how rare they are and that we should leave them be. After some research I realized that standing hollow trees were their prefered nesting area, so I quit pushing them down. I haven't seen one in years though.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:09 PM

I did some research after I posted. I guess flying squirrels are not as rare as I thought, just nocturnal. You learn something everyday I guess.

Quick Reply: Unusual animals seen while deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.