Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone eat the heart and liver? >

Anyone eat the heart and liver?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone eat the heart and liver?

Old 12-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone eat the heart and liver?

I love deer liver. Cooked with onions it's tasty! The key is don't over cook. Enjoy!
Old 12-15-2005, 04:06 PM

A lot of great comments and recipes, thanks! Hey BowHuntingFool that's taking it to the limit your the man,I dare ya, go ahead and try some mountain oysters and let us know how they are!
Old 12-15-2005, 04:34 PM

I personly dont eat them but the good old dogs absouletlylove them!
Old 12-16-2005, 06:24 AM

heart is GRRRRRRREAT! Battered and fried with some biscuits and gravyMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I would not eat ANY kind of liver even if I was dying in the desert !

dd

the heart is great if cooked properly..

do you guys even know what you are eating when you swallow a piece of liver??? That part of the body is a filter for all toxins and impurities in the bloodstream... it is one of the most toxic parts of an animal. Good luck to all of you. Would you drink your beer out of an used oil filter?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Yep,their both good,but the heart is my favorite!soak and clean it good,then dice into cube size pieces,sautee with butter a splash of extra virgin olive oil,diced onions fresh garlic,season to taste .Then to finish it of deglase with some sherry!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:12 AM

Would you drink your beer out of an used oil filter?
I guess.........if it was cold.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:49 PM

My brother inlaw had a share in a foat plane with two other doctors.
they all flew in to a secluded lake in Nortern Quebec to hunt moose. one doc, shot a black bear, and cooked up some fresh liver, my brother in law passed on the liver. the other two got sick and one died and the other dam near,beforebefore my brother-inlawcould fly them out to hospital. I nevereat liver, but enjoyed heart with a little dressing baked.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: dvdegeorge

Yep,their both good,but the heart is my favorite!soak and clean it good,then dice into cube size pieces,sautee with butter a splash of extra virgin olive oil,diced onions fresh garlic,season to taste .Then to finish it of deglase with some sherry!
thats exactly how i cook it. its a tradition with me and the kids to eat the heart the same night as the harvest. i have to fight the kids just to get a piece. and the liver stays for the foxes lol
Old 12-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Considering a deer's diet compared to a bear's i think that the risk fom eating deer liver is pretty low. In Louisiana, they have something called a "Debris," that's a Cajun word for the internal organs. You take the heart, liver, sweatbreads, and even kidneys, and chop them up and cook them in a brown gravy or even a tomato gravy and serve it over rice. Its pretty good with cow organs, but I haven't heard of folks trying it with deer. It might be worth a try...

Quick Reply: Anyone eat the heart and liver?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.