Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone eat the heart and liver? >

Anyone eat the heart and liver?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone eat the heart and liver?

Old 12-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone eat the heart and liver?

After a succesful hunt,we alwaysfried up the heartfor breakfast the next morning. Never tried cooking the liver before though.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:40 AM
Spike

I completly agree with the docter liver--[X(]
Old 12-15-2005, 05:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I have detested liver ever since I was a youngster. I always ate heart and liked it. When my father, who had heart disease, was alive, his doctor told him to not eat any animal's organs. I have stayed away from those things ever since. I leave them with the gut pile and it makes the drag easier. When people ask me why I didn't bring back the heart or liver I always say I don't eat guts.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I use to eat the heart and liver but i have not in years. Don't know why i stopped.

With that said here's a ;ittle story involving a deer heart. My 2 cousins and i went hunting 1 day and i shot a doe. We all came back to my house and hung the deer from a tree. We went up to the liquor store and brought a case of beer and by the time we got back to cutting up that deer the beer was almost gone. Had some Jack Daniels also. We get out there and my cousin opens this deer up and starts pulling out the innerds and he grabs the heart. He looks at me all drunk and says " This is how the indians use to do it" And smashes that deer heart right into his face and takes a big bite of it. His brother and i just look at each other. The rest of the night while we were butchering that deer it looked like he had bright red lipstick on all around his face from the blood.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Me and my dad ate the heart for the first time this year. I suggested it after reading the good reviews off of this site, and then we had some big ole hearts from a couple deer that were 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 years old and around 180 field dressed each. It was a REAL strong flavor though. Didnt mind it too much, we just put it in the crock pot with some onions, baby carrots, and the like.....just as if we were doing a roast.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never ate deer heart or liver! But this year when I was in Africa I ate the Heart, Liver, Tongue, and Testicles os the 2 Gemsbuk(Oryx) I shot! All were very good. I went back for a second helping of each! Hopefully I get another deer this year so I can try it!
Old 12-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Why eat the organ that manufactures cholesterol and filters poisons from your blood ? If there's a more disgusting meal than liver I can't think of what it is . [:'(]
I don't much care for the heart , but my labs love it , and liver , go figure ...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 PM

my cousin opens this deer up and starts pulling out the innerds and he grabs the heart. He looks at me all drunk and says " This is how the indians use to do it" And smashes that deer heart right into his face and takes a big bite of it.

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Ive never tried it and would have no idea how to fix it........But yall got me thinkin now......
Old 12-15-2005, 12:36 PM

I don't eat the heart, but liver and onions is one of my favorite dishes. Call me old fashioned, but I love it and tell the guys not to leave the livers of their deer in the woods but to bring them in for me. I even give them plastic bags to put them in as they go out the door of the cabin.

My recipe is fairly simple. I slice the liver about half and inch thick, then roll the slices in flour with a few secret seasonings mixed in. I then fry the slices with a whole onion (sliced up fairly thin) in a frying pan (what else would you fry them in?). The stuff makes its own gravy from the flour and the juices. It is best over mashed potatoes, but I guess you could also serve it with my favorite mushroom noodles.

The mushroom noodles are so easy to make. Boil up some noodles (you pick what style of noodle you prefer). When they are done, add a can of mushroom soup to the noodles and stir it together. If you are a real gourmet cook, add a small can of mushroom bits and pieces to the mess.

Now, if you want to sample my deer liver and mushroom noodles, come to Camp Bucktail sometime during rifle season in Pa. One or two more plates don't cause any distress to the cook. If you visit during bear season, you might get to sample my world famous (for reasons yet to be determined) bear stew.

Quick Reply: Anyone eat the heart and liver?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.