Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i dont want to go to jail

Old 12-13-2005, 08:22 PM

Default i dont want to go to jail

ha got your att. I'm going to be traveling through GA. and TENN. for a hunting trip at the end of the month what is the safest way to keep my guns safe so the law wont say anything about them if i get stopped last year i was stopped for 2 road blocks no guns then but this time i will have a few with me . no pistols 2 rifles and 2 shotguns
thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i dont want to go to jail

Well in TN keep them in a case away from easy access, and keep the ammo in a different place and you should be good. I think thats kinda a rule a thumb anywhere. drive safe
Old 12-13-2005, 08:36 PM

My guess would be to keep them locked up in the trunk if in a car, locked in a case in the back seat or in the bed(camper shell or cover?) if in a truck and locked in a case in the farthestspot from the driver's area if in a suv. I think locked in a case out of easy reach is the main idea?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Keep the guns in a hard case unloaded with the action open and gun lock,
With a lock on the out side and the ammunition located in the trunk,
away from the guns.

I think thats how the firearms saftey instructer said to keep,
Firearms when you travel.

Hope this helps.

If you are not sure talk to a highway patrol officer or a
Wild life officer to be on the safe side.

Good Luck on your hunting trip.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:55 PM

Check with every state you will drive thru to see if it's legal and how to transport them. That is the only safe way to do it. Sometimes you have to have the guns shipped to a location near where you are going to hunt and pick them up there.

Paul
Old 12-13-2005, 08:56 PM

I believe in most states the law is that you have to exit the vehicle toreachthe firearm and have theammolocked in the glove box. The idea is that you wont be able to reach the gun andammo while sitting ina seat in the car.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:02 PM

I think some states have laws about transporting firearms accross state lines though. I would certainly check into it. I had a supervisor when in the military that got transfered to the east coast from california. He took his guns with him, tore down and in a trailer. He got stopped in new york and ended up in jail for it. That was with a handgun though. I would still check.

Paul
Old 12-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am not one to travel with a loaded gun in the car, but this thread reminds me of my trip back home from Arkansas 3 days after hurricane Rita came through.

In Arkansas my father and I bought 4 generators, 2 air conditioner window units, and about 150 gallons of gas inone 55 gallon drum, and the rest being in 5 gallon gas cans. My truck was loaded to the hilt with enough to survive for atleast 2 weeks in the dark. My truck and trailer had to of been a sight.

30 miles north of where I live there was a road block because only residents were allowed to go through with the warning that if you could not sustain yourself, they strongly advised you not go through. I traveled the dark roads with all of our supplies, and I kept a loadeddouble barrel shotgun next to me in the front seat, because of the nonsense I had witnessed weeks earlier in New Orleans. The State trooper who talked to me at the road block actually saw the shotgun in the truck and told me to just be carefull.

Of course these were extreme circumstances, and I would check your local laws.

Through it all, I was very proud of the people in this part of the country. I heard of no trouble at all. No looting, no nothing. I think it was becausethe people around here had a no tolerance attitudefor riff raff, and the riffraff knew it.

C. Davis
Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 AM

In Tn you cannot be able to reach the ammo and the gun. So gun in the trunk, ammo in the console.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trigger locks never hurt either, better to have too much than too little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.