Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Muzzleloader or shotgun?

Old 12-13-2005, 06:08 PM

Default RE: Muzzleloader or shotgun?

Is a bow an option?

Im not sure which I would hunt with. Some MLs are now capable of well over 150 yards, where the shotgun is only good up to about 100 yards. I think they both are to easy thats why I dont hunt deer with them anymore.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:58 PM

It depends on my mood and how I'm hunting. If I am stand hunting Iusually take my ML as it is more accurate, hasa longer range, and well is just a lot of fun to shoot. I take my shotgun if I am drive hunting or if I am stand hunting where there is a good chance I might see a coyote. For the most part though, the first gun I grab is my muzzleloader.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have always used either a muzzleloader or 30-30. I gave up the 30-30 years ago and just use muzzleloader. This is the 1st year i ever used a 12ga. to hunt deer with. I DIDN'T LIKE IT AT ALL. Man that 12ga. shoots a lot different than my muzzy. I missed 2 deer this year at about 60 yards with the 12ga and i was ready to break it across a tree. I'll be useing my muzzy again. to hell with that 12ga.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

I got to go with the muzzleloader
Old 12-13-2005, 08:08 PM

I have never fired or care if I fire a muzzle loader. Around here a gun is a gun so I would you my shotgun. Not too many big areas to shoot around here and it's rare to see as deer in them in hunting season. I'll take to shotgun or a real rifle. (no offense to muzzleloaders)

[/align]
Old 12-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

No offence taken, to each his own. We all have our own prefrences.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:19 PM

I've thought about trying a muzzleloader, but don't think I will. Don't own a shotgun, but might buy one for some bird hunting. For deer, I use my bow and during rifle season I have a 3030, but don't think I'll even use the rifle next year, I'll just stick with bow hunting all season. It more of a challenge and when you do get one, it's a great feeling!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:15 PM

My slug gun shoots just like my ML does, except it is easier to clean. Same recoil and simular ballistics. Actually my Slug gun will shoot a heavier bullet a bit faster than my ML will.

My Remington 700 ML does have a much better trigger than my H&R ultra does though.

Paul
Old 12-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ML for me. Here it gives you a full an additional month to hunt over a shotgun and it is a helluva a lot fun making smoke.

If your looking to be used in a reg. firearm season I would look at the Savage ML10II. It can shoot smokeless powder, as well as the subs others use. However when smokeless is used the cleaning issues are not nearly as daunting. It is a versatile package that delivers excellent results with very little tinkering. It is a reasonable to shoot and you can obtain magnum results with less recoil and no smoke.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:52 PM

I use the Shotgun for one reason and one reason only the knowing that my gun will always fire when i pull the trigger on a nice buck. I've heard to many stories of the good old muzzleloader car not going off.

Quick Reply: Muzzleloader or shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.