Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How to dispatch a wounded deer legally >

How to dispatch a wounded deer legally

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to dispatch a wounded deer legally

Old 12-13-2005, 04:10 PM

Default RE: How to dispatch a wounded deer legally

Photo Gallery Member List Search The Forum FAQ Ticket List Rules Log Out
I had to slice a couple throats in my life. Found a doe that had been hit by a car. Just walked up in front of her and did the deed. There isnt much a downed deer can do if you approach from the front. Don't get me wrong, I was still kinda weary. She then got enough energy and crawled in the creek and bled out.

The other time was when I shot way to high on a doe and hit the spine. She made this awful noise when I was going to her. It was the first one I ever had to cut in the throat. It wasnt a pretty sight. Hope those are the only two times I have to do that, it won't be though I'm sure.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Spike

Well I guess Im lucky i have never had to do that but if i did i guess i would just slice their throat or break their neck
Old 12-13-2005, 04:50 PM

if slitting the throat is not an option you can always just put another shot straight through the vital area (thats hard to miss).
Old 12-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Thats what I would honestly do as well. I dont care if it was past legal shooting light. If an animal is suffering in that way, there should be an exception. If i got fined for doing it, I would proudly pay it because I would honestly believe I did what was right.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they are still alert dispatching via knife to throat wouldn't be the safest idea. A few years back a hunter here was gored and died by doing this on his wounded buck. I would put another round in them or back away and let nature take its course.

If they are basically down and out but still mustering breaths you could cut the throat but I would probably error on the side of caution and wait it out.

I have seen a few deer play possum so whatever you do use caution. If unsure a poke in the eye with a stick will tell you the score. If they blink be careful of your next move!!!!!

I actually approachgame from the rear this way they have a clear escape route that I am not in the path of. This allows me to see chest wall movementsasI get in tightbut usually if they havemuch left when coming from the rear they will try to re-position to see the pursuer.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

The CO's I know of would be willing to look the other way on this one. If they hear one shot after shooting hours and upon investigation it is clear to them that it was a shot made to finish the deer off, they would not make an issue of it.

Last spring during Turkey season, I happened upon a 1 year old baby bull moose that was infested with ticks and had no chance for survival. I went to a nearby farm and called the CO. He asked my to expire the animal and he'd come later on to pick it up.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vogt_51

Thats what I would honestly do as well. I dont care if it was past legal shooting light. If an animal is suffering in that way, there should be an exception. If i got fined for doing it, I would proudly pay it because I would honestly believe I did what was right.
Well said...

Weoften hear: "We owe it toan injured or woundeddeer to put it down as quickly as possibly"...I agree with that statements and would use my firearm again, regardless of the time.

If it cost me, that's a chance I waswilling to take.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:16 PM

well, if he wasnt moving too much, id just slice the jugular. if its really alive and kicking, personally id just shoot it again, even if its after dark.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Skeeter- poke it with a stick first to see how much life is left in it. I'd be very careful if I had to stab it or cut its throat. My cousin got kicked in the face and chest when he went to gut a "dead" deer. First time I ever saw someone get beat up by a deer. Even though it's after dark and not legal I'd probably shoot it too.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

i didnt know we couldnt track game on sundays until this year here in PA...you FIRST have to get a permit or the OK to do such a thing.....i say HA to that.....and if i was in that situation i WOULD had my rifle....and if i had a good clean safe shot down he would went..dark or not....im not all about letting animals suffer...thats one thing i dont like......i know bad shots happen...and i know theres tough deer out there......my buddy took one down HARD with his flintlock....drug itself 50yds to the road...blood real good.....got up and ran across the road to never be seen again...no blood no nothing.....couldnt find it with 8 guys looking!!!! so im not bashing you or anything......but times like that i dont care if i have to break the law or not....if its safe...and needed to be done ill do it......yes i had to track a deer on a sunday here too.....had no idea we couldnt track deer on sundays or in the dark here.....kinda funny...say a shoot a deer saturday evening last light...runs off....im not letting it lay until monday morning!!!!! glad yo took care of it.....but without a gun it would be a tough job......im sure you know...im not jumping on no deer with a knife....clubbing it....or trying to laso it......

Quick Reply: How to dispatch a wounded deer legally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.