HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Telechecking (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/124801-telechecking.html)

whitetaildeer87 12-12-2005 11:37 PM

Telechecking

Just outa curiosity, why do they have telechecking for everyone now, in Missouri....couldn't people lie?

CamoCop 12-12-2005 11:46 PM

RE: Telechecking

i think every state should do it like florida. you have to physically check in your deer at a designated check station. at the check station, they pull the lower jaw bone for aging, take the kidney's for testing and also take the weight and measure the horns for record keeping sake.

like you said, if it's left up to telechecking, why even call in a deer. if you don't, you still have tags to fill. here if your caught with a deer or even fresh venison and don't have a legal tag...you go directly to jail and don't get your $200.00

kevin1 12-13-2005 04:27 AM

States with a physical check-in still have poachers , poachers don't check-in their deer . Cheaters will find a way to cheat no matter what system is in place , laws are for the law abiding just as locks were made to keep the honest folks the way they are . My state is considering telecheck , or possibly an online check , and I can't wait for it to happen .

CamoCop 12-13-2005 05:32 AM

i agree kevin, but why make it easier for the poachers?

bassfisherman711 12-13-2005 05:49 AM

I guess people could lie, but thats dishonest....hunting is much of a honest, morally correct sport.

Hotburn76 12-13-2005 06:02 AM

I think when it comes down to it they are probably doing it cause of budget cut backs. Like oneof the last guys said locks keep the honest people honest. If people are poaching with check stations they will continue to do so. You can only hope that with the tele check they will get sloppy about it and get caught. When the goverment people sit around the big table and make decisions that affect or life it most always is about money.

knemohunter 12-13-2005 06:04 AM

I heard how many thousands of dollars the MDC was saving going to telecheck and is was unbelievable.I guess the MDC has decided that the money they save on check stations is more important than the deer that are poached.

kevin1 12-13-2005 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i agree kevin, but why make it easier for the poachers?
Going to telecheck doesn't make it easier for someone who never checks in to begin with , it just encourages honest people to stay as they are by making it more convenient for them . Poachers have poached since game laws began and always will , making things easier for the honest folks can't change that . IMO those 1-800-TIP lines do more to poachers than anything else .

krub6b 12-13-2005 09:09 AM

For those poachers who do decide to call in an illegally taken deer there can be spotchecks. In the Missouri regs it says that you should attach your tag, field dress it, and then call it in. If you call it in and they want to take a second look for some reason, they will tell you to not touch the deer til they arrive. If they show up and the deer has been skinned quartered and the head, hide and everything else conviently pitched, they are going to give you a fine. But I'd still rather go check mine in, pulling up to the check in station with a fourteen point monster and staying there for another two hours answering questions is more fun than just making a phone call.:D

Angus74 12-13-2005 09:25 AM

[:'(]