Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Telechecking

Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 AM

Default RE: Telechecking

I like not having to drive 25-30 miles to check in a deer. And I've
never had any one at a check station ever check the wound on a deer I
took in during bow season to see if it looked like it was shot with a bow
or a rifle. Not that the girls that work at the convience store that does
the checking would know the difference, or care.
I know the kill numbers were down for Missouri this year, but I don't know
that the check system was the reason. I know a lot of guys that didn't
kill anything. As far as people shooting a buck and telechecking it as a doe, I guess it is going to happen. But I do think the conservation agents
are going to be doing more spot checking because they aren't working the
check stations during rifle season.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:30 PM

i moved to VA and they have the telechecking. It is so much better than PA!!! In Pa, they ask you send in a report card. I know tons of people who either don't tag the deer at all or tag it til it gets butchered. Either way, its extremely hard for the game commission to get any kind of control of the situation at low cost. PA use to ahve an annual deer harvest of 400,000 + deer per year. those check stations would be backed up for miles. Like someone else said, there is always a way to get around the system.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:45 PM

I would say that the telecheck has everything to do with thekill numbers being down. I know several people that tag 1 out of 4 deer this year. They kill it clean it and quarter it all with in 30 minutes of the kill. I know a couple people that have killed 15-20 deer this year. I think it is wrong, very wrong but its happening. I know of 10 deer that have died with a 270 and a 7mm bow. I also have heard of other deer getting killed with a 270 or a 30-06 muzzloader. So I think doing away with the check station is a dumb idea. I think one of the best part of deer season if going to the check stations getting a cup of coffee and chatting with all the old timers listening and telling stories.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i think every state should do it like florida. you have to physically check in your deer at a designated check station. at the check station, they pull the lower jaw bone for aging, take the kidney's for testing and also take the weight and measure the horns for record keeping sake.
i wasn't aware that you had to do that.... i looked all over the fwc site and could only find that you have to get it checked in wma's.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i think every state should do it like florida. you have to physically check in your deer at a designated check station. at the check station, they pull the lower jaw bone for aging, take the kidney's for testing and also take the weight and measure the horns for record keeping sake.

Yep! It's called Herd Management and let's as know if there is a deceasein our herds. It also shows them the5"above the hairline law for a Fact and not a phone call!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

reb where do you find out where to take your animals??? do you only have to do this with deer??? do you still have to do it if you get it checked at a wma check station???
Old 12-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

I think when it comes down to it they are probably doing it cause of budget cut backs.
I agree. Kentucky, for instance is raising the price of all hunting licenses across the board. The reason sited was the state is spending more money than it is taking in. More personnel hired to man check stations would require more money and compound the problem. Poachers will do their thing no matter how many constraints are placed on hunting. Just this weekend I found a deer shot with it's antlers sawed off and the rest left to rot. I for one would not turn my head if I witnessed poaching, and I believe that honest hunters need to police up the "black sheep" of our sport. More stringent control on all hunters won't resolve the problem.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:58 PM

And you don't think this kind of stuff was going on before, when we had check stations?
If you know about this stuff, what have you done about it? Call the 800 Stop Poaching number and turn them in.

ORIGINAL: Ruttenit

I would say that the telecheck has everything to do with thekill numbers being down. I know several people that tag 1 out of 4 deer this year. They kill it clean it and quarter it all with in 30 minutes of the kill. I know a couple people that have killed 15-20 deer this year. I think it is wrong, very wrong but its happening. I know of 10 deer that have died with a 270 and a 7mm bow. I also have heard of other deer getting killed with a 270 or a 30-06 muzzloader. So I think doing away with the check station is a dumb idea. I think one of the best part of deer season if going to the check stations getting a cup of coffee and chatting with all the old timers listening and telling stories.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter06FlKy

reb where do you find out where to take your animals??? do you only have to do this with deer??? do you still have to do it if you get it checked at a wma check station???

Hunter, there are many WMA's where you are supposed to stop and fill in the forms and the check station is not manned. I only did it with deer and not hogs.Use your own judgement when passing a form only station!
Old 12-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you have to check private land deer too??? just curious. i only knew that you check animals on public wma's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.