HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   deer shot with a 22 mag...worse (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/124799-deer-shot-22-mag-worse.html)

whitetaildeer87 12-12-2005 11:26 PM

deer shot with a 22 mag...worse

A guy here in my area shot a deer in the thoat with a .22 mag....that's illegal here....worse...he shot it during bow season, not gun season. My taxidermist told me this, and couldn't prove it to DNRbecause they have the telecheck system here in MO, and called it in and butchered it himself. Worser thing about it was the it was a HUGE 8 point....beautiful deer...could have been bigger someday.The guy took it to the taxidermist to get it mounted and he refused to mount it for him because he knew it was poached. There were not cuts by the broadheads...there was just a tiny little hole by .22 mag bullet. He was going to turn him in, but reall couldn't prove it after he cut the antlers off, butchered the meat, and threw the head and cape somewhere out in the woods.

This stuff is what really gets my blood a boiling. [:@]

James B 12-13-2005 01:13 AM

RE: deer shot with a 22 mag...worse

Mine too.

whitetaildeer87 12-13-2005 01:27 AM

I really don't like the new telecheck system. IMO, people can get around the system without getting caught. Before this year, I checked in all my deer in person....the only people who could telecheck deer were landowners and farm tags. I had to go all the way to Bennett Springs State Park (20 mile round trip) to tag in my deer.I do like thatI don't have toburn gas (because I got a gas hog, my mainvehicle is2001 F-250), Ican justcall straight from my cell phone. But I honestly think this telechecking system will cause problems....

Bols 12-13-2005 01:44 AM

It is amazing what state officials will do just to save a buck.

Sorry for the pun.

They just started that telecheck here in IL as well. My dad and I both thought the idea was justreally gonna cause more problems in the end. Especially with poaching and people harvesting morebucks/does than they should and reporting false information.

whitetaildeer87 12-13-2005 02:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Bols

It is amazing what state officials will do just to save a buck.

Sorry for the pun.

They just started that telecheck here in IL as well. My dad and I both thought the idea was justreally gonna cause more problems in the end. Especially with poaching and people harvesting morebucks/does than they should and reporting false information.

same thing I was thinking....I mean, someone could get a buck and call it in as a doe.

Striper Phil 12-13-2005 04:12 AM

Sounds strange to me, I never had a taxidermist check the wound hole before accepting the cape. But their are certinly a lot of strange folk outthere. As to the checking system, if people are going to steal/poach they will do it with or without a call in system. I think most are caught at their vechile or in the woods with the wrong tag or none on the deer. Once the animal is in the car and its on the road they are hard to catch.

mauser06 12-13-2005 06:05 AM

atleast you guys have a check system......we have ear tags...and report cards we are supposed to mail in within 10 days after the kill that the state doesnt even look at i dont think......i know they dont use them for much....the ESTIMATE our yearly kills somehow?....but we have antler restrictions and noone around to make sure our deer are legal and tagged......its to easy to shoot what you want when you want and butcher it yourself......im sure its done all the time....but you could lie on the telechecking system real easy too........

DoctorDeath 12-13-2005 06:17 AM

Well in Alabama we do not have to check in our deer but I am sure sooner or later that will happen. As for this guy shooting a buck with a 22 Mag. ... I had a simular thing happen on the 10pt I took about two weeks ago ...when we took it to the Taxi he skint it out and found a 22 hole at the top of his back ..he called and informed me ..the land I hunt is joined by a small trailer park where I hear someone shooting a 22 most every evening and I imagine the buckwas shot by one of those guys ... Im sure some would argue that its all in "shot placement" but I think most of us do not proclaim to marksman so I prefer a larger cal. that offeres a little forgivness.

dd

whitetailblaster 12-13-2005 09:19 AM

That jerk, if he can't hunt right then he shouldn't even be in the woods. Just turn him in. It's not right

Finch 12-13-2005 10:52 AM

We found TWO .22bullets in the buck I killed first day of rifle. One was in the shoulder, one farther back, and there was a place in the neck that looked suspicious. It is hard to kill a deer near my parents house that hasn't already been shot w/ a .22. I wish I could see somebody do it.[:@] They'd be pulling something out of their ass.