Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Last day doe in NY

Old 12-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Last day doe in NY

Went out for an evening hunt on the last day. At 2:30 my dad called me to tell me that a guy was walking in and to watch my backside in case he pushed anything. A couple minutes later I spotted two does. I got ready for a shot but they never came out into the opening I wanted. I started to get frustrated since they were the first deer I have seen since opening day. I calmed down and kept looking. At 4:28 I saw two more does in the same spot this time I didn't wait I put the Tru Glo sights on my 1100 and fired. Now the fun begins. We walked up stream half a mile to cross and then back to where I shot it across a stream. When I knew I was close I slowed down and had a doe get up 10 yards from me and take off. I shined the light down in the bed and found a good amount off dark blood. I waited a little bit and started tracking. I kicked her up 2 more times out of beds before watching her cross the creek. She wasn't gonna last much longer by the way she was moving. I watched her bed down and went back to get the truck. About a half hour went by and we found her in that spot. I was surprized that she still had spots. The deer she was with wasn't that much bigger. I know I am gonna take some heat for her but she was 60 yards away and I never saw the spots till I was right next to her. But I am proud to fill my doe tag and plan to make some jerky. Here is the Pic I have.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Last day doe in NY

are spotted deer legal where you are, here they are not......glad youre happy, enjoy the meat but try to get them a lil closer when they are that small.......
Old 12-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

yeah id be careful who i show that pictuer to cause down here takeing a deer with spots i illegel.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

ditto what the other guys said. hey anyone can make a mistake. i shot a buck opening day and it was 40 yards from me no more. i thought it was a 4 pointer but found out later it was a 9. when the juice is pumping things happen fast and things ain't always what they seem. but thats hunting and anyone here will tell you that.

on a good note though.....she is gonna taste sooooooo good man. I've had small deer before and theres nothing like'em