HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Chances of a BIG buck? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/124656-chances-big-buck.html)

whitetaildeer87 12-12-2005 01:32 AM

Chances of a BIG buck?

What are the chances of getting a big buck. What states are the big bucks usually in? What kind of management are used for big bucks?

North Texan 12-12-2005 02:12 AM

RE: Chances of a BIG buck?

There are so many variables that it's really impossible to answer. Nearly all states have spots with large deer. In areas where the deer herd is managed well (usually larger tracts of land), the odds of taking a big buck are very good. In areas with small tracts of land and many different hunters/owners, the big deer tend to be a little harder to come by because people aren't quite aswilling to let bucks walk. The biggest factor influencing a deer's antler size is his age, so herds that are managed so bucks are given a chance to mature will have the biggest average bucks and the best chances of bagging a big buck.

Speaking only for Texas, South Texas is probably the most famous for its deer herd. A lot of managed land produces a lot of quality bucks. The Hill Country is also famous for its deer herd. There are more deer there, but the deer are usually smaller. East Texas isn't as famous for great hunting, but there is still a lot of great hunting to be had there.

The Rolling Plains of North Texas, well hunting is just bad. I wouldn't recommend anyone wasting their time coming to hunt here. Yep, its just not worth it. I never see any deer, and the bigs ones are just hard to come by. No need in anyone hunting here.;)

CamoCop 12-12-2005 02:18 AM

i can see North Texan's nose growing from here in Florida! lol

Striper Phil 12-12-2005 03:53 AM

On my way to North Texas to hunt, hang out since there isn't any deer there!!!!

SlyInTheWoods 12-12-2005 04:25 AM

For me its allways like that saying ''the grass is always greener on the other side'' Ill go to one place then all you here is about the deer somewhere else go there same thing[&:]

buckhunter14 12-12-2005 04:27 AM

There are many management units where you can only shoot bucks with 3 points on one antler or sometimes 4 points on one antler.... That had helped my area

CamoCop 12-12-2005 04:39 AM

hey buckhunter, we have regular management areas and type 2 management areas. the regular management areas are open to anyone with a management stamp...the type 2's are computer drawn through an application process. alot of our type 2 areas are going to the 3 on one side next year.

was there a big improvement in quality in your area when this took effect?

DoctorDeath 12-12-2005 05:19 AM

According to North American Whitetail magazine the chances of the average hunter taking a B&C buck is .005 percent and if you hunt an area that is known for big bucks like Alberta, Illinois, Iowa or Wisconsin your oddsgo WAY up to .05 percent !

dd

Rebel Hog 12-12-2005 06:00 AM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

According to North American Whitetail magazine the chances of the average hunter taking a B&C buck is .005 percent and if you hunt an area that is known for big bucks like Alberta, Illinois, Iowa or Wisconsin your oddsgo WAY up to .05 percent !

dd

DITTO!

CamoCop 12-12-2005 06:19 AM

hey DD, what would be the odds of me shooting a B&C hunting with you? lol