Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Just complaining about the road hunters. >

Just complaining about the road hunters.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just complaining about the road hunters.

Old 12-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Spike

Default Just complaining about the road hunters.

Just want to complain about the road hunters a little bit.

All during bow season, I never saw a truck anywhere near the place I hunt. A few tractors, that's about it.

Now that gun season is open, there are pickups driving up and down the dirt roads in first gear during sunup and again at sundown. Amazing how many road hunters there are out there.Suppose they must get lucky every now and again or they wouldn't do it. Sure are enough of them.
Why don't they just park and get out of the truck?Sure is a lot cheaper to sit still than all that driving around. Plus the people that live on those dirt roads don't appreciate people spinning around on them when it's muddy and tearin' them up.

Sorry to take up the bandwidth to complain. The deerseem to know that all that extra motorized traffic isn't healthy and they quit moving around.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Just complaining about the road hunters.

Its a bad deal but I don't see it ending anytime soon. Part of the problem is the fact that so much of the land is posted and no-one is allowed access. This would not be true of public land but in the unit where I hunt, there is not one inch of public land. However 80 percent of the land in this unit is under lease and or posted. People are going to hunt regardless so they are left to road hunt. This is not legal where I live, that is you cannot shoot off the road and you can't shoot on private property without written permission so they are trying to sneak a deer off of illegal land. I have land in my unit and permission to hunt thousands of acres of other private land so I have no problem. However had I not been raised there and did not know so many land owners, I would be screwed. Part of the problem too is that the G&F department sells tags for this unit even though they know there is very little land open to hunting. Wish I knew the answer.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

GEEZ.....PARK AND GET OUT.....[8D]
Don't know how thats any different than having somebody push the game out of the country by walking...
Thats part of the fun....ITS SURVIVOR..
OUTWITT, OUTPLAY, OUTSMART, OUTLAST...
I'M NOT A HUGE FAN OF DRIVING EITHER,BUT,I'M NOT GOING TO GET DISCOURAGE BY ANYONE WHO FEELS THE WAY YOU DO CAUSESOMEBODIESDAD OR GRANDFATHER CAN'T GET AROUND LIKE THEY USED TO....OR A PARENT JUST INTRODUCING THEIR KIDS TO HUNTING MAY LIKE A BREAK FROMSITTING IN THE STAND OR WALKING.....
ALL I CAN SAY......HOPE YOU STAY YOUNG FOREVER......
Old 12-11-2005, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

i don't agree with the poaching from the roads but i look at it like this. I LOVE THE ROAD HUNTERS...lol. more people hunt'n the road, less people i have to worry about claim jump'n my stand way back in the woods. i park the closest i can (legally) to my stands, but i still have atleast a 1 mile walk from my truck to my stands. i think i have some sort of phobia of hunt'n close to roads.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

From my standpoint, thats how they choose to hunt. I hunt one way, they hunt anther. Good luck to 'em
Old 12-11-2005, 06:52 AM

First its Illegal in many states...
Second its dangerous to ride around with a chambered round and guns all over the truck
Third...dont tell me about introducing kids to hunting this way....its unethical and wrong.

Now,,,the otherside....what is asfae and appropriate in wyoming or Montana is not safe and and appropriate in Missouri...so Im not condemming those in areas where it is more in line with terrain and hunting situations. In Missouri, the roadhunters are a mobile poacher...they are deer hunting only in that they want to kill a deer but have no idea who owns ground on either side of the road and will shoot at anything they can see.

I get every lic plate number i can and call every one in I get.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wooddust

Second its dangerous to ride around with a chambered round and guns all over the truck
Third...dont tell me about introducing kids to hunting this way....its unethical and wrong.

Now,,,the otherside....what is asfae and appropriate in wyoming or Montana is not safe and and appropriate in Missouri...so Im not condemming those in areas where it is more in line with terrain and hunting situations. In Missouri, the roadhunters are a mobile poacher...they are deer hunting only in that they want to kill a deer but have no idea who owns ground on either side of the road and will shoot at anything they can see.

you the man wooddust! I'm doing the same, 2 years in a row we have been shot at by road poachers the night before the opener while sitting in the cabin. We ended up turning one guy in, and 2 others we trapped in a ditch. They lost their guns to the warden. everyday it's still the same while on stand though, vehicles driving slow up and down the roads, AHHHHHH. I hate it.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Spike

Wooddust,

It's illegal here also. Don't know how many get ticketed, must not be many.

The section of KS I hunt is mostly divided up into 640 acre blocks, and those blocks are bordered by dirt roads. From the air it looks like a checker board. So I'll be hunting the block I have permission to hunt, and the road hunters are out there driving around it. So when you have an area where the is normally no traffic, then all of the sudden there is regular traffic, sometimes trucks within sight of each other even, and normal traffic truck traffic is fast and this truck traffic is slow, it screws up the deer movements quite a bit. Plus tears up the dirt roads that usually don't see that much traffic all year.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Pa that type of "hunting" is not legal and loaded guns in a vehicle are forbidden!! IMO that's not hunting.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wooddust

WELL..Thank GOD I LIVE IN BRITISH COLUMBIA....
I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE WHAT ITS LIKE HUNTING THERE....
I GUESS GUYS WHO SAYTELL ME HUNTING IN THE STATES IS LIKE BEINGIN THE NEW YORK GRAND CENTRAL STATION MUST BE TRUE.....
THAT MUST SUCK BIG TIME.....[:-]

IN B.C. ITS IS LEGAL BUT THERE IS LOTS OF RESTICTIONS........
SOME EXAMPLES....
UNLAWFUL RESTRICTICTIONS ARE PLACED ON LOADED WEAPONS IN THE VEHICAL..
SHOOTING FROM INSIDE VEHICALS,
MUST BE 1/4 MILE OFF MOST HIGHWAYS..

THERE IS LOOPHOLES..I NOW OF AT LEAST ONE HIGHWAY, WHERE ONE CAN SHOOT OFF THE ROAD, BUT THE CATCH IS YOUR SHOOTING ONTO POSTED/PRIVATE LAND.....HOWEVER YOU GET SPECIAL PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER (SIGN LIABILITY FORMS AND WAIVERS) AND NOBODY CAN STOP YOU...LEGAL YOU BET,ITS UP TO THE HUNTER WITH THE ETHICS
TO MAKE, THATS THEIR CHOICE......

POACHERS DODISOBEY THESE LAWS,BUT THEY WILL DO IT NO MATTER HOW THEY HUNTED......I'VE SEEN ANIMALS SHOT AND LEFT IN THE BUSH
AND LEFT BY HUNTERS WHO WALK,AND I'VE SEEN VEHICALS PARK ON THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY,AND IN THE DISTANCE SOMEBOBY DRAGGING A DEER TO SOME TREES ON PRIVATE LAND....

I'VE SEEN HUNTERS BOTH ON AND OFF THE ROAD WHO SHOOT WELL BEFORE LIGHT AND WELLINTO THE DARK....

YOU HEAR STORIES WHERE THE ODD TRANSMISSIONS BEEN SHOT OUT AND THE GUY HAS HAD TO EITHER DRIVE OUT IN REVERSE OR WALK.....
NO DIFFERENT THAN SOMEBODY CARRYING A LOADED GUN WHILE WALKING AND SHOOTING A PARTY MEMBER....

BOTH ARE DUMB UNNESSESSARY AND STUPID....

I CAN UNDERSTAND YOUR FRUSTRATION/FEELING THAT YOU'VE WALK ALL THESE MILES ON FOOT,JUST TO FIND OUT YOU PUSHED THE ANIMAL YOU'VE BEEN PURSUING RIGHT TO SOMEONE WHO"S DRIVING,WHO THAN
"LAWFULLY" SHOOTS IT......

HEY ITS HAPPENED TO ME.....WHAT CAN YOU DO BUT CONGRATULATE HIM AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKE.......

Quick Reply: Just complaining about the road hunters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.