Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunter trapped in treestand

Old 12-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunter trapped in treestand

Scary story, It is a risk we all take and I am thankful we all are still safe when we enter and exit the woods...
Old 12-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

my question to everyone: if this happen to ya'll, could you "finish" yourself off if you were seriously injured and lost hope of survival?

my answer: hard to say unless you're in that situation. i like to think i would prior to this year BUT having my son being born this last october, i think i would try to hang on until the end in hopes of seeing him grow up.
I think the will to live would be stronger than the will to die. You hear stories all the time of people in life or death circumstances cutting off arms, legs, hands and feet to try and save themselves.
But you just don't know till your in this situation and i hope i never am. I am a single parent of 2 kids and i think my will to survive for them and beliefe in god i would be saved. But i am sure in extreme circumstances i would think about ending it but i don't think i could for reasons stated above.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

That is a horrible situation. I'm really sorry for this individual. But becauseof stories like these it causes me to double check everything. I always check for a triple knot when joining top and bottom sections. Feel and listen for bends or weirdness when climbing. Someone mentioned about leg circulation being hindered from the Seat of the pants. I don't think so. IN the military we had to tie a swiss seat while repelling from cliffs and helicopters.A swiss seat is just a fancy rope tied around and between your legs.We were just fine. The best thing is to keep your head and for me ....don't go to high....and never climb a tree without Jesus
Chuck
Old 12-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone know howyou use the tree descender from Summit?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Not me...never even heard of it till this post.
Chuck7
Old 12-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

About 10 years ago a friend of mine's 19 year old son was in a stand with his safety harness properly on. He slipped and fell somehow and evidence showed he couldn't get up or down. They found his knife at the base of the tree and part of the harness had been cut. He was dead when the rescuers found him.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:26 AM

Ground blinds and stalking are starting to look better and better!

firstshot
---------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: firstshot

Ground blinds and stalking are starting to look better and better!

I doubt that anyone has ever died from a fall from their folding chair while sitting in a pop-up !
Old 12-12-2005, 03:56 PM

For those of you using A climbing treestand try acrrying a screw in tree peg. IF you fall and are not able to get back on your platform, screw the peg in at waist level. You should then be able to get a foot on it and step up. Then lossen your tree strap and slide it down. put weight back on your harness, and move tree peg down. repeat process until your on the ground. I would not suggest cutting yourself away from your harness, after all it did keep you from smacking the ground. An average size guy weghing 200 pounds falling 4 feet will hit the ground with about 1800 pounds of force.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

For those of you using A climbing treestand try acrrying a screw in tree peg. IF you fall and are not able to get back on your platform, screw the peg in at waist level. You should then be able to get a foot on it and step up. Then lossen your tree strap and slide it down. put weight back on your harness, and move tree peg down. repeat process until your on the ground. I would not suggest cutting yourself away from your harness, after all it did keep you from smacking the ground. An average size guy weghing 200 pounds falling 4 feet will hit the ground with about 1800 pounds of force.

That actually sounds like it would work! Thanks for the idea.