Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feild dressing

Old 12-10-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Feild dressing

Hey guys got a question Im goin hunting today in the afternoon, and was wondering if you guys had any tips of how to keep the deer fresh for two day becouse the butcher is closed at around 5 oclock wich is gona be the time i will most likely get my deer.He is closed on sunday, so how would i keep the deer fresh for 2 days?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feild dressing

After field dressing, hangit head up out of the sun. Make sure the body cavity is cleaned out well. If the temp stays in the 40 deg. range or less, it shouldkeep nicely for a couple of days.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

After field dressing, hangit head up out of the sun. Make sure the body cavity is cleaned out well. If the temp stays in the 40 deg. range or less, it shouldkeep nicely for a couple of days.
I agree and would like to add to spray out the cavity before you hang it. Should be fine.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:54 AM

It's also a good idea to take a couple of sticks and use them to spread the cavity opening. This lets the cold air circulate through and helps the meat stay cooler. Also, make sure to hang the deer high enough that the critters can't get to it.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quarter 'em, and ice 'em down. Deer will go 7 days in an ice chest!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

Agree! and prop the cavity open.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:24 PM

Have you ever considred butchering your own deer? It can be a mess and some people don't like doing but I've always broke my own deer down.
Another option is getting a very large cooler and sticking the whole deer in it. Quarter it, put in a thick plastic bag, and then dump lots of ice in the cooler and it will keep for days.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:32 PM

I will probly put it in a cooler.I got a big 125 quart cooler wich i use for fishing that i might put it in.How bout freezing it would that work?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

I would not freeze it but I don't think that it would hurt
I agree with the other posts but I hang mine head down that way the blood will drain away from the choice cuts that are in the hindquarters
Old 12-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1321281

Quick Reply: Feild dressing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.