Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you butcher your own deer

Old 12-08-2005, 10:25 PM

Default RE: Do you butcher your own deer

The first deer I shot, we had it processed because my dad had also shot one. He has always done his and never had them processed. He was real busywith work and decided to have both bucks processed. We got back about 35lbs of meat back. Thats out of 2 Big Ohio bucks. Since then I vowed never to take a deer back.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

IT DEPENDS ON HOW THE HUNTIN IS....
MOST BUTCHERS IN MY AREA CAN"T BE BOTHERED WITH DEER...
FALL IS A BUSY TIME OF YEAR BETWEEN THE DOMESTIC ANIMALS
(CATTLE AND PIG) PLUS THE NO. OF ELK AND MOOSE,MOST OF US DO IT
ON OR OWN..
I DO GET MY MOOSE AND ELK BUTCHERED BUT THE I CUT THE TENDERLOIN AND BACKSTRAPS OFF BEFORE TAKING THE ANIMAL
IN.....SAVES MONEY ON THE OVERALL WEIGHT OF THE ANIMAL and
I KNOW I GET THE PRIEMIUM CUTS..

Old 12-09-2005, 10:57 AM

Yes ia always butcher and cut up my own deer because the last deer i took to the slaughter house i didn't get but about half the meat i wanted to punch the hole who did it, but now i would have went to jail cause the guy that owned the slaugter house is the couty judge lol!!!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:02 PM

Do you have to use the word butcher it sounds soslang and the public shouldn't have to hear or seethat word. I would prefer you all to say process on these public forums.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:29 PM

butcher it all ourselves but take meat in for processing. we keep roasts, tenderloins, etc.. and process scrap meat take about 2-3 hours per deer
Old 12-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've cut up -many a deer. Cleanliness is the key.

Use Bleach water, and often, to clean utensiles and cutting area.

I never age them on purpose. If you have a cut that you wish to age - take it out of the Freezer 3 or 4 days before you plan to cook it.

I don't mind butchering a deer at a time, but if I should take 2 - or someone donates a 3rd - I sometimes have it cut up and or smoked.

FH

Old 12-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Fork Horn

Sent an elk to be cut/wrapped once. Didn't feel I received the same meat that I delivered. Never again had anyone else process for me. Always cut/warp at home.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:36 AM

I always butcher my own deer and most of my friends. Just one more aspect of the huntforme.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:35 AM

depends, so far we have done 2 and sent one to the butcher,, usally we do are own cause we dont have the money to send all of our deer there that we get. the only reason we took one there was cause my dad wanted to try italian brawts and we need more summer sausage
Old 12-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

I started to do my owm deer 5 years ago when I would take 5 to 6 deer per year. I really enjoy it. I get to spend more quality time with my father & family, and it makes watching the Detroit Lions barable. $100.00 per animal the processor charged was to much for me. I always take the left overmeat (I am not as efficient as some of you) and bring them to the processor for venison sausage. Great links for videos, that will save me at least an hour or two processing time. I d have all the "toys" (vacuum packers, grinders, knives, etc...), but any good knive, zip lock bags and freezer paper can get people started IMHO. I have noticed the Vacuum packing machines stop the freezer burn better and make the meat taste better after a couple months sitting in the freezer (again all IMHO).
Questions for the experts: From the large back ham which contains the rounds & sirloins, whatare the steps / cuts to seperate these individual cuts of meat?

Quick Reply: Do you butcher your own deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.